Joe's 300 Gallon Build

blown65

Well, found a great deal thanks to Jody at Tidalzone. So had the tank cleaned up by ReefTech here locally and its all ready to start to put together. Out with the 90 gallon and in with the 300.

Old tank

old90gallon.jpg

New 300

new300gallon.jpg

Getting the stand and canopy later today, then the work begins. Still torn between going bare bottom or sand bed. I'm leaning torwards a sand bed though. Just dunno if I can get used to no sand on the bottom or not.

Ya' date=' I agree. Plus it holds your rock from sliding and causing a big problem. :)[/quote']

Build yourself some simply rock supports out of scrap acrylic and acrylic rod. I did and it helps a lot. No rock movement and water can circulate around better sincethe rock isn't sitting in the sand. Plus if you have sand burrows you don't have to worry about them either.

Yup, thats where its going. Let all the plumbing begin tomorrow. DOH!

Yes, it has overflows on both ends. I have 3 blueline mag pumps that are getting plumbed in with a wavemaker hooked up to it. Should be right about 70gpm from those, plumbed in closed loop. The sump will have its own pump with a small return. Didn't want that much water flowing open in the sump, would probably end up too noisey. Not sure the return pump, its sitting in my garage, only goes to the sump for my skimmer anyways.

As for under the rock, I think we are going to use egg crate with pvc attached to space it. Thats how I did my 90 gallon and it worked pretty good too. The canopy is open also, but I gotta put egg crate up there or something, otherwise my curious cat will have a swim. Probably not the best thing.

K, so ran into a couple snags.

1-They sent the wrong type of ball valves. Dont really care for these, so gotta look for some different ones. Luckily my larger plumbing can get done since those are correct. Got time though since....

2-They only put doors on one side of the Canopy, which would just suck big time trying to clean the tank. Lifting this off after all the lighting is up there would be a huge pita so back it goes.

Here is how the Doors look though. Should be a pretty easy fix. Plus not sure why he used such different wood grain, going to try and have that part fixed also. The panels just slide up, much better than swing out doors IMO. Tons of access that way.

canopydoors.jpg

I like that sliding door idea, makes it look sleek and very clean. That would be nice to get same type of access on the other side, because if you have to take down your lights to clean the other side you will not have enough light to see what your cleaning. Who build you canopy?