My 500 gallon sps cube build!!!

dj_giantti

Here are picture of my cleaning my tank getting it ready for the new house.

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Beer count on the tank so far #2

Is that an invert? Nice tank dude....it's massive. Always wanted a tank I could swim in...just thought it was one of those powerball dreams.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to put a gallon rating on a skimmer cause there are so many variables...but I don't think your new tank tied to your frag system is anything that skimmer wouldn't handle.

If you had any concerns though, you could always ditch the Sicce pumps and upgrade to this bad boy:

1500andVolute2.jpg

1500andVoluteBackside.jpg

PinwheelComparison.jpg

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Pumps/c25/p321/Askoll/Laguna-Max-Flo-1500-with-Skimmer-Volute-and-Pinwheel/product_info.html

Its $300 and pulls close to 100 SCFH!

If you guys cant tell, I LIKE SKIMMERS! lol...I only wish I had a big enough tank to run one of theses beasts.

I can tell you about this pump, i have the swc 250a and the askoll pump rocks. I replaced a reeflo orca 250 with this skimmer and i feel I lost nothing in performance but gained a quieter more efficient skimmer.

I am waiting for Jayson at SWC to release his new askoll based flow pump. I want to replace my dart with it as my return pump.

Its hard to put a gallon rating on a skimmer cause there are so many variables...but I don't think your new tank tied to your frag system is anything that skimmer wouldn't handle.

If you had any concerns though, you could always ditch the Sicce pumps and upgrade to this bad boy:

1500andVolute2.jpg

1500andVoluteBackside.jpg

PinwheelComparison.jpg

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Pumps/c25/p321/Askoll/Laguna-Max-Flo-1500-with-Skimmer-Volute-and-Pinwheel/product_info.html

Its $300 and pulls close to 100 SCFH!

If you guys cant tell, I LIKE SKIMMERS! lol...I only wish I had a big enough tank to run one of theses beasts.

I just got a SWC250A last week & it does not have the ozone pickup like this shows. it has a pluged tube on back of valute which I accidentaly snapped off. Is this one shown the newest Askol valute?

I just got a SWC250A last week & it does not have the ozone pickup like this shows. it has a pluged tube on back of valute which I accidentaly snapped off. Is this one shown the newest Askol valute?

What color is your valute cover? Gray or white? The white cover has been out of a few months now, I don't think it has changed...

Randy & Epicenter, what sized tanks do you have your 250's running on?

Randy, both MSX and ATB are making flow based pumps with the Askoll 1500 motor block! They rock! They are very reasonably priced too! I am going to use one for a return pump on my next tank!

Brandon, sorry for hi-jacking your build thread with equipment talk...these kind of things get me excited!

What color is your valute cover? Gray or white? The white cover has been out of a few months now, I don't think it has changed...

Randy & Epicenter, what sized tanks do you have your 250's running on?

Randy, both MSX and ATB are making flow based pumps with the Askoll 1500 motor block! They rock! They are very reasonably priced too! I am going to use one for a return pump on my next tank!

Brandon, sorry for hi-jacking your build thread with equipment talk...these kind of things get me excited!

175 & valute is white like in picture. I had a brain fade when posting this sorry. Brandon way cool tank glad to see it getting set up. My son inlaw had that tank built buy Ray. Son inlaw got caught up with a bad business deal & lost his store. Those tanks were his show tanks. Richard purchased them from Ron who locked up Michaels store over 4,500.00 back rent. Some have no mercy. Glad to see them with water once again. Peace out,,,,

Light ideas anyone got any. I was think 4 400watt hqi 20k radiums with 4 VHO SA's

I think the options are wide open with the size of that tank!!. How about custom DYI 20+ 48" t5 bulb fixture,,,800+watts, low heat, low monthy $$, someone has to try it (whistle)

I think the options are wide open with the size of that tank!!. How about custom DYI 20+ 48" t5 bulb fixture' date=',,800+watts, low heat, low monthy $$, someone has to try it (whistle)[/quote']

With 20+ 60" T5's, the wattage and heat is going to be the same as four 400w MH bulbs.

20 60" 80w T5's = 1600 watts

4 400w MH = 1600 watts

1 watt of light creates the same amount of heat and costs cost the same (weather its from a T5 or MH), so that being said, T5's vs MH will come down to personal preference.

So I guess, on a large scale when you are considering 20 T5 bulbs, it would be a flush...but on a smaller scale T5's will typically be less wattage and heat.

For example:

8 36" 39w T5's = 312w

vs

2 250w MH = 500w

Ok' date=' was showing the GF the tank and Brandon swimming in it and she started chuckeling and said she had a silly question, that being, if you have a tank with water in it and you get in and are floating there, dose the tank weigh more with you floating in it?[/quote']

Yes and no. Basically, it's a water displacement thing. Brandon is displacing his weight in water. Click the link for a better explaination than I could give.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_one_gallon_of_water_weights_8.34_lbs_would_adding_a_2_lb_fish_to_the_water_change_the_weight_of_the_water

Yes and no. Basically, it's a water displacement thing. Brandon is displacing his weight in water. Click the link for a better explaination than I could give.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_one_gallon_of_water_weights_8.34_lbs_would_adding_a_2_lb_fish_to_the_water_change_the_weight_of_the_water

Ya, I understand that, but it was funny cuz I knew the answer and it still made me think for a min.

Brandon I would go with 4x400w HQI's with actinic supplementation via VHO's or t-5s. I personally will probably use t-5s because I like the color options that they have. Sounds like you are almost ready to really start cracking on this thing.

Are you going to run a closed loop for flow in the center and front of the tank or just use some really powerful powerheads? I haven't decided what I want to do there yet.

if you guys can afford them, id suggest looking at multiple, 2-4 vortech mp 40's, with the controller that allows you to control all 4 of them, if you go with that many, it will make things extremely simple, and allow you to alternate, simulate, and adjust flow with the touch of a button

Hey guys I just got done cleaning out the big tank. There are a few sratches in the tank but once it is full of water you can not notice them.

I just ordered all my sand. I went with 400 pounds of caribsea fiji pink live sand. I pick it up from Jason at Coral Reef. The sand will be in tomorrow around 1pm.

My next step it to locate 4 4ft vho supper A's with conectors and ballests.

• 2 weeks later...