My 500 gallon sps cube build!!!

dj_giantti

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a freaking HUGE tank! Congrats Brandon (and Garrett). Can you give us a run down on what you plan of lighting, flow, skimmer, sump, etc???

If you want to get the most out of that skimmer you have, let me know, I'll give you some links! It will easily handle your system with about $100 in upgrades and proper adjustment!

Thats a freaking HUGE tank! Congrats Brandon (and Garrett). Can you give us a run down on what you plan of lighting, flow, skimmer, sump, etc???

If you want to get the most out of that skimmer you have, let me know, I'll give you some links! It will easily handle your system with about $100 in upgrades and proper adjustment!

Yeah Ryan!!! Can you please send me some links!! Right no I am have tubble with one of the pumps turning on. Please help me out buddy.

Yeah Ryan!!! Can you please send me some links!! Right no I am have tubble with one of the pumps turning on. Please help me out buddy.

The starting issue is pretty typical with the Sicce pump, esecially if it has the mesh wheel it in. Try blowing on the air tube, that will usually start it. The pin wheels start much better. They are GREAT pumps though!

For optimal performance, I would do the following:

1: Upgrade to the ATB large purple pin wheel in both pumps: $30 each

ATBPurple_pinwheel.jpg

http://www.reefspecialty.com/Protein-Skimmers-Accessories/c21_64/p407/ATB-Sicce-Pinwheel/product_info.html

2: Upgrade to the new MSX inducers: $8 each

NewSicceReducerS.jpg

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/p370/New-Sicce-intake-reducer/product_info.html

3: Upgrade the to the extended collection cup: $90

xtended%20cup%20200.JPG

http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=40

It comes out to a little more then I thought it would...last time I priced this upgrade out, it was for the smaller version of your skimmer with only one pump.

The upgrades on the pumps would close to DOUBLE their performance, and the extended neck would allow more dwell time so you could make full use off all of that extra air! You would be pulling 35-40 SCFH out of each pump at only 21 watts per pump!

There's NOTHING that skimmer wouldn't handle!

This is Brandon's wife Megan' date=' hello to you all. Brandon is currently on swimming in his fish tank trying to clean it. I just took some picture and he asked me to upload them. So they will be up in a few min. This hobby is taking over his life!!! lol[/quote']

And STILL WAITING for the wedding picture!!!!! Hi Megan

The starting issue is pretty typical with the Sicce pump, esecially if it has the mesh wheel it in. Try blowing on the air tube, that will usually start it. The pin wheels start much better. They are GREAT pumps though!

For optimal performance, I would do the following:

1: Upgrade to the ATB large purple pin wheel in both pumps: $30 each

ATBPurple_pinwheel.jpg

http://www.reefspecialty.com/Protein-Skimmers-Accessories/c21_64/p407/ATB-Sicce-Pinwheel/product_info.html

2: Upgrade to the new MSX inducers: $8 each

NewSicceReducerS.jpg

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/p370/New-Sicce-intake-reducer/product_info.html

3: Upgrade the to the extended collection cup: $90

xtended%20cup%20200.JPG

http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=40

It comes out to a little more then I thought it would...last time I priced this upgrade out, it was for the smaller version of your skimmer with only one pump.

The upgrades on the pumps would close to DOUBLE their performance, and the extended neck would allow more dwell time so you could make full use off all of that extra air! You would be pulling 35-40 SCFH out of each pump at only 21 watts per pump!

There's NOTHING that skimmer wouldn't handle!

I just got done cleaning my tank/going for a swim. So I blow in to the pump and hit the side of it with a small rock and the pump kicked in.

How many gallons do you think the skimmer could handle if I did all these up grades?

With the upgrades that Ryan mentioned, I think that the skimmer could easily handle a well stocked 1000g system. Maybe even a 1500g system with a moderately heavy fish load. I have been doing some major reading over the past few days and from what Ryan has said and form what I have read it sounds like your skimmer will handle pretty much anything you or I could want.

Brandon get the pics up of you swimming in your new "pool"

With the upgrades that Ryan mentioned, I think that the skimmer could easily handle a well stocked 1000g system. Maybe even a 1500g system with a moderately heavy fish load. I have been doing some major reading over the past few days and from what Ryan has said and form what I have read it sounds like your skimmer will handle pretty much anything you or I could want.

Sounds great!!! I will get all of the parts on order. I just posted the picture of me cleaning my tank lol. Garrett by the way my beer count is 2!!!

I want to see a complete from beginning to end beer count! Keep them coming. By the way you look kind of small in that tank. You might need some flippers to get to the other side to finish cleaning.

Yeah your right I should open another beer. Beer count is now up to 3. I think I will do some more cleaning in a few days once things settle down. I will add the flippers to help me reach the appropriate cleaning depth.

With the upgrades that Ryan mentioned' date=' I think that the skimmer could easily handle a well stocked 1000g system. Maybe even a 1500g system with a moderately heavy fish load. I have been doing some major reading over the past few days and from what Ryan has said and form what I have read it sounds like your skimmer will handle pretty much anything you or I could want.[/quote']

Its hard to put a gallon rating on a skimmer cause there are so many variables...but I don't think your new tank tied to your frag system is anything that skimmer wouldn't handle.

If you had any concerns though, you could always ditch the Sicce pumps and upgrade to this bad boy:

1500andVolute2.jpg

1500andVoluteBackside.jpg

PinwheelComparison.jpg

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Pumps/c25/p321/Askoll/Laguna-Max-Flo-1500-with-Skimmer-Volute-and-Pinwheel/product_info.html

Its $300 and pulls close to 100 SCFH!

If you guys cant tell, I LIKE SKIMMERS! lol...I only wish I had a big enough tank to run one of theses beasts.