ID?

andy

Guest Mbeef61

i think maybe a sponge...if they really are algae covered then my guess is they are like the white sponge i have sticking out of my zoo colony...doesnt do any harm and you can prune them but they come back...

Guest Mbeef61

good yes another sponge vote...i swear thats the same sponge i have except algae covered so it looks green not white...yeah i agree can be very invasive but doesnt sting or anything.

Guest Mbeef61

yeah that was my nex t closest guess...but if you look into those species they are calcifiying algae and they obtain a hard calcium carbonate shell....my sponge do-hicky never got ridgid or anything it just blew around.

If you look closely at those pictures of neomeris, you'll see that it has a white stalk with green tips. This critter of mine is the reverse, with a green stalk and a whitish tip. I pulled a few samples out last night and took a closer look; they do appear to be sponges, with green algae growing on the surface. The texture of the strands was very different from a calcerous macroalgae like halimedia, which is tough and almost brittle -- these were, well... spongy :D

Also, to pretty much close the deal, I found a couple of strands growing on the backs of some live rock, out of direct lighting. These strands didn't have a coat of green algae, and were pretty clearly growing out of an encrusting sponge colony. I'll try and get some pictures later, just for kicks.

Boring Sponges can be bad news for corals. I cut those strands off of the Tubipora, and will keep and eye out in case they grow back.