Portland Coral Farmers Market?

Isaac

Are there any coral farmers interested in participating in a Portland coral farmers market? Even though it would be called the Portland coral farmers market it could include farmers from anywhere.

I am considering taking on the task of organizing such an event but I need to know if I have the support of our local farmers and reef enthusiasts.

Isaac

Would this be a one time or an ongoing event? either way it sounds like something I'd be interested in. I am assuming it would be corals only & not fish?(just wondering aloud) Mike

I think it could be an annual event. Farmed fish are a possibility also.

We would rent a space locally to house the event. It would be open for local farmers, aquarium shops and related companies. This would be a great venue for coral farmers to showcase and sell their product. It would also give local reefers access to the best in farmed coral at amazing prices.

We could hold product and coral raffles and auctions. I think it could be a lot of fun and would help promote sustainable reef keeping.

Isaac,

At the bottom of the page located at http://www.coralfarmersmarket.com/

there is a statement regarding the name 'Coral Farmers Market':

Copyright © 2006 Coral Farmers Market SM All Rights Reserved.

'Coral Farmers Market' is a Common Law servicemark of the Coral Farmers Market company.

...Perhaps using another name might be a good idea. (Coral Growers Market, Frag Farmers Market, etc,) The Service Mark is probably not Registered, but using another name other than the one used by Steve Tyree's CFM seems like the right thing to do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_mark

John

IMO, it would be more successful if there was a much reduced (or no) entrance fee for the customer. I know some people were put off by the idea of having to pay to get in.

Those that went were drawn to the idea of being able to pick some LE corals from vendors from out of the area.

Local shops seemed to be not interested because they would need to transport (shock) their stock just on the hope that they could sell. If they kept all the stuff in the store it would look better, and they would not loose customers from the local area.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good idea to get a bunch of different farmers together in one room so I don't have to travel all over the city to look at the different stock, but IDK how many would actually show up.

I would even entertain getting a small tank of frags together to sell. But if it would cost a bunch to set up a booth, then I would probably not make any money on the venture.

dsoz

Im sure we can all come up with a good name that won't cause legal issues. I think this is a great idea, i know we talked about it when the market was canceled but nothing came to fruition. I think running a coral farmers market during the winter months would be a winner, since most of us do more with our tanks during that time.

Thanks for pointing that out John. The last thing I want to do is start any trouble over the name. I like your ideas for an alternate name.

Isaac,

At the bottom of the page located at http://www.coralfarmersmarket.com/

there is a statement regarding the name 'Coral Farmers Market':

Copyright © 2006 Coral Farmers Market SM All Rights Reserved.

'Coral Farmers Market' is a Common Law servicemark of the Coral Farmers Market company.

...Perhaps using another name might be a good idea. (Coral Growers Market, Frag Farmers Market, etc,) The Service Mark is probably not Registered, but using another name other than the one used by Steve Tyree's CFM seems like the right thing to do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_mark

John