ID hitchhiker crab

dsoz

While giving the tank the once over this morning, I noticed this crab molt. I have never seen this guy in person, and don't know what he is. Can anyone tell me what kind of crab it is so I can research them?

IMG_7036.jpg

Thanks in advance.

dsoz

The folk over on Nano-reef identified it as a Gaudy Clown Crab (a member of the Xanthoidea family). I knew most of the time black tips are bad...

I will probably set a bottle trap for him for the next couple of nights. Then it is destined to the sump. I'll even put in some ugly brown palys that it can munch on if it wants.

Yep. Been missing any polyps or seen corals go downhill and not know why?

It is in my anemone farm tank which also serves as my coral QT. I have lots of zoanthids in there that are being observed before going into the DT. Some are doing great, and some are not... I don't think that this little crab can be the cause of all the polyps that are missing. I think there are other issues going on.

Thanks for all the input.

dsoz

Does it eat anything other than Zoas? I would love to get a cool looking crab (or something else) that eats only Zoas. I should look into that...

Too bad, it's certainly an attractive crab. Of course, if you never see it - I guess that doesn't matter.