my clam died :-(

theJenchild

When I woke up this morning, I started to roll over to have my morning "stare at the tank" time and immediately noticed something not right with my little maxi clam. It had its shell open, but the mantle wasn't extended and there were two nass. snails on his foot. I'm quite sad about this, what a waste of such a beautiful creature!

Sadly I also need to ask, should I remove the body from the tank or let my CUC eat it? Could leaving it for them cause any problems?

Yes, remove it. Be prepared to get the stink of death on your hands. Plug your nose and don't breathe while the clam is out of the water. It does not come off easily. I have heard that lemon juice helps take the stink off. I think that dead clam or dead snail is the worst smell that our tanks can make.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I am trying to get the $ to buy a clam right now. That is the next thing that I want to add to my tank. Your loss makes me even more nervous.

dsoz

I definitely am glad that I got it out. There's no doubt that it was dead. The way I managed it without the crazy smell was to put a ziplock bag inside out over my hand. I grabbed the clam under the water, turned the back right side out and zipped it. Created a nice little seal so that I didn't have to smell the death.

I am quite heartbroken over this poor little guy. I don't think I'll be trying another clam for quite a long time. It was so beautiful, and appeared to be doing well....right up until it died. So sad. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through others and look at lots of clam photos. So let's see 'em guys....calling all clam photos to make me feel better. :)

I definitely am glad that I got it out. There's no doubt that it was dead. The way I managed it without the crazy smell was to put a ziplock bag inside out over my hand. I grabbed the clam under the water, turned the back right side out and zipped it. Created a nice little seal so that I didn't have to smell the death.

I am quite heartbroken over this poor little guy. I don't think I'll be trying another clam for quite a long time. It was so beautiful, and appeared to be doing well....right up until it died. So sad. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through others and look at lots of clam photos. So let's see 'em guys....calling all clam photos to make me feel better. :)

If it makes you feel better I've decided another clam will not be in the near future for me either.

I left the shell and put pearl in it. Looked pretty cool for a while there.

downsized_0818081735.jpg

That's kinda neat! I don't think I could handle having the empty shell in my tank though. Despite how silly it may seem, I was pretty attached to this creature. I'm very sad to think that I caused its death, which is entirely likely. This is why I won't be trying another clam for a while, probably not till I have a much larger tank. I just don't want another death like this on my conscience.

If you dont mind me asking' date=' what kind of lighting do you have?[/quote']

150W HQI with a 20k ushio bulb over a 15.5g cube. Should have been plenty of light, sadly something went wrong.

This was a 3" clam that was seemed super healthy. I got it from Jason at CRPC, so I have no doubt that it was good quality. I believe it was aquacultured too.

Thanks for the sympathies guys. I just feel bad that such a beautiful animal had to suffer in my seemingly inexperienced hands. I have a lot to learn I think before I'll be trying something so sensitive again.

stories of peoples clams dying has me worried. I just got my first clam this weekened and I hope it does ok. Im not really sure how to take care of it

There is a great book in the club library you could check out. Get a hold of Lowman.

Giant Clams by Daniel Knop

Jay