Fire angel an ok fish?

finch6013

My wife really wants a fire angel and I keep telling her it wont do well with out softies. Does anyone have exerience keeping fire angel/flame angel in a reef tank? is this an ok rist to take. Also a second question, Has anyone tried keeping a purple tang with a yellow tang? I figure its a bad idea since they are so similar in body type.

how is the potters towards other fish? aggression wise. Yellow tang' date=' clown, and in the future either a blue or purple tang[/quote']

Based on my experience I would say no problem. He would chase the other pygmy angel (coral beauty) once in a while but never did any damage and totally ignored all the other fish including a scopas tang, sohal tang, and kole tang.

Of course... that is an n of 1!

I'll never have a pygmy angel in a reef tank again. Mine (Flame Angel) was rough on softies and sps, costing my daytime SPS PE and stopping me alltogether from having acans, trachys, etc. Some people get ones that aren't a problem, other people do -- if they were easy to net, it'd be a different story but getting a problem child out of a reef once they're in is a real pain in the ***. I had to tear out pretty much all my rock to get it. Sucked.

I have a dwarf angel (very dark color, don't know the species). It picks at my SPS and zoas. I had to take out my birdsnests and pocillapora (catspaw) because it eats them. I think it is also the cause of my green slimer dying, and also a green psammacora near deaths door. It is a good thing that I just set up a second tank so I can take out any coral that seems to be getting white spots.

This summer, when I have some time, I am going to take out all the rocks and remove that stupid fish. It is going into the sump or to the LFS. It is too bad, it is a nice looking fish. Very skittish, hardly ever out when anyone else is around. It has learned that I am the source of food from heaven, so it will come out when it is only me.

I am probably going to stay away from angels in the future. I only got this one because it was free from someone taking their tank down. "It does not cause problems for me..." were the famous last words.

dsoz

"It does not cause problems for me..." were the famous last words.

(laugh) If I was a cynical man, I'd think that was code for "Please take this &^%ing polyp-nipping, LPS-picking reef terrorist off my hands." Fortunately, I'm not.

(laugh) If I was a cynical man' date=' I'd think that was code for "Please take this &^%ing polyp-nipping, LPS-picking reef terrorist off my hands." Fortunately, I'm not.[/quote']

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh) Too funny Andy! Yeah, good thing you aren't really cynical, who knows what you might come up with ;)

BTW - I have this really nice scopas tang that is a model citizen... I would love to keep him but I really think he would look much better in your tank :D

I have always wanted a flame angel. But the stories are just too much for me to try. Although now that i'm using my 29 as QT instead of a 10gal i just might give it a try. Would be easy to net out of there, plus i have several types of corals in there to test it on. Hmmmm......

I have a dwarf angel (very dark color, don't know the species). It picks at my SPS and zoas. I had to take out my birdsnests and pocillapora (catspaw) because it eats them. I think it is also the cause of my green slimer dying, and also a green psammacora near deaths door. It is a good thing that I just set up a second tank so I can take out any coral that seems to be getting white spots.

This summer, when I have some time, I am going to take out all the rocks and remove that stupid fish. It is going into the sump or to the LFS. It is too bad, it is a nice looking fish. Very skittish, hardly ever out when anyone else is around. It has learned that I am the source of food from heaven, so it will come out when it is only me.

I am probably going to stay away from angels in the future. I only got this one because it was free from someone taking their tank down. "It does not cause problems for me..." were the famous last words.

dsoz

Dennis,

You have a Pacific Pygmy Angel, Centropyge flavicauda.