High Nitrates

WingRider62

So, we have both cubes up and running, everything looks happy. We decided to run tests on both tanks, the readings pretty much the same for both.

PH = 7.8 and 8.1

Amonia=0

Nitrite=0

Nitrate= 20 and 40

Before panicing, be decided to check our tap water, which is showing the same results. We filled both tanks with tap water and dosing with "Stability", since dont have a RO/DI setup yet. My question is, will RO/DI cure this problem?

Yes and without RODI you will be re introducing the nitrates and phosphates (and all else bad in the tap water) every time you do a water change or top off. There are many budget friendly RODI units out there for around $100 that will make a world of difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Nitrates are the bi product of Nitrites, broken down from ammonia therefore my first guess is you have too much of a bioload or your over feeding the tank. The quickest way to eliminate them is with a 40% Water change, yet that will only put a bandage on the root of the issue, figuring out where they are coming from is key.

- First off what exactly are you using for a filtration system?

- How Old is this Tank? What Size is the Tank?

- How Many Fish are in the Tank?

- How Often do you feed the Fish?

- What do you have in the way of a cleanup crew?

I would address the issue first by doing the water change, From there I would then cut my feeding down to half <- Unfortunately this is the best advice I can give you right now without knowing the answers to the above questions as those would most likely give me a better information to help you diagnose the issue.

Also one last thing, Did you completely finish out the Cycle on the new tanks?

Edited by Exodus

Nitrates are the bi product of Nitrites, broken down from ammonia therefore my first guess is you have too much of a bioload or your over feeding the tank. The quickest way to eliminate them is with a 40% Water change, yet that will only put a bandage on the root of the issue, figuring out where they are coming from is key.

- First off what exactly are you using for a filtration system?

- How Old is this Tank? What Size is the Tank?

- How Many Fish are in the Tank?

- How Often do you feed the Fish?

- What do you have in the way of a cleanup crew?

I would address the issue first by doing the water change, From there I would then cut my feeding down to half <- Unfortunately this is the best advice I can give you right now without knowing the answers to the above questions as those would most likely give me a better information to help you diagnose the issue.

Also one last thing, Did you completely finish out the Cycle on the new tanks?

We have two 29 Gal. Biocubes which are about 2 months old and were cycled using about 30lbs LR and 20lbs Live sand, and used "Stability" to aid in the cycle.

Tank 1: Older style cube, using Biocube filter cartridge and a DIY media rack with Chemipure and Carbon.  Stocked with several assorted SPS and LPS corals, 1 sm Yellow Tang, 1 Damsel, 1 Starry Blenny, and 2 sm Percula Clowns with Lg Rainbow Anemone.  Clean up crew consists of a few Hermits,Turbo snails.  Nitrates= 80+ppm

Tank 2: New Biocube, using Biocube filter cartridge and Bioballs.  Stocked with a few LPS corals, and several softies like Toadstool, Xenia and Mushrooms as well as 2 Picasso Clowns with 2 sm RBTAs,  1 Diamond Goby, 1 Lawnmower Blenny and a Potters Wrasse. We feed both tanks every other day with a small amount of LRS Reef Frenzy. Nitrates=40ppm

Both Nitrate levels are the highest they have been since we started them.  PH is 8.0, Ammonia is 0, Nitrites is 0.  We have been doing 30% water changes every week with RODI water and "Reef Crystal" Salt.

We have two 29 Gal. Biocubes which are about 2 months old and were cycled using about 30lbs LR and 20lbs Live sand, and used "Stability" to aid in the cycle.

Tank 1: Older style cube, using Biocube filter cartridge and a DIY media rack with Chemipure and Carbon.  Stocked with several assorted SPS and LPS corals, 1 sm Yellow Tang, 1 Damsel, 1 Starry Blenny, and 2 sm Percula Clowns with Lg Rainbow Anemone.  Clean up crew consists of a few Hermits,Turbo snails.  Nitrates= 80+ppm

Tank 2: New Biocube, using Biocube filter cartridge and Bioballs.  Stocked with a few LPS corals, and several softies like Toadstool, Xenia and Mushrooms as well as 2 Picasso Clowns with 2 sm RBTAs,  1 Diamond Goby, 1 Lawnmower Blenny and a Potters Wrasse. We feed both tanks every other day with a small amount of LRS Reef Frenzy. Nitrates=40ppm

Both Nitrate levels are the highest they have been since we started them.  PH is 8.0, Ammonia is 0, Nitrites is 0.  We have been doing 30% water changes every week with RODI water and "Reef Crystal" Salt.

Ok so it looks like you were trying to go even with the fish, this is my personal opinion, Being the tank is only 2 months old and they both have 5 fish in them you added the fish far to quick and are really pushing the limits of your tanks too quickly. You typically add fish slowly increasing your bioload at a slow enough rate for beneficial bacteria to increase and the tank to become more sustainable all the while increasing clean up crew as needed. if you only have a "Few" I assume like 4 or 5 HC's then you are way too short, I tried to keep at least 12 to 15 in my 12g with only 2 fish. Also Anemone's really should only be added to an established tank meaning over 6 months again another sign you really jumped the gun and rushed into this.

So I could give you the harsh reality which nobody wants to hear and I know most wouldn't really listen, so instead Ill give you this advice for your current situation:

- Double up your Water changes for the meantime

-  Get yourself allot more Hermit crabs, for a 29G and feeding every other day I would aim for 20 now as the tank is so new.

- Take consideration in feeding your fish sparingly

- BC Cartridge and bioballs need to be rinsed weekly! Even better toss the bioballs and throw some live rock rubble in a mesh bag and stick it back there

- ensure you are vacuuming out the back chambers you would be surprised what builds up back there

- Do a head count on the turbo snails and any others make sure none of them are dead.

- Do not add anything else to the cubes for now till the tanks start clearing up

- Be patient and lets hope you ride this out without many losses

Remember Nitrates are not nearly toxic as nitrites & ammonia, they are tolerable to fish but you want to target in the 5ppm range or less

I'm sorry if I came off rude I do not mean to by any means, I'm just pretty straight forward about things as I want to help you get this resolved, and I feel by giving you an un sugar coated understanding of the issue will only benefit you in your journey into reefs.

• Like 1

Here come the police!!! Take this with a grain of salt and just my opinion. but the tang and wrasse really are way to Active to be in such small tanks. Them maybe small and cute but they like to swim. Plus if you remove those you will have A lot easier time keeping your levels where they need to be nice and low.

• Like 2

Do a lot of reading and get a good understanding of carbon dosing if you venture down that path

Plus one on this. Carbon dosing is a good way to wipe out your tank if you don't go very slowly and exercise an abundance of caution. For the size tank and corals that that you have, you probably will be fine just using water changes to control nutrients. Another option would be some chemical media like Chemipure Elite, but you need to be careful with this too---don't add too much of it too fast.