Hello from Camas Wa

MorseReef

Hello,

My family is just getting back into reef keeping from being out of the hobby for many years.  Wow has technology changed.  We are finding that dome things have changed (technology) and other have not (keep water parameters stable).  We are looking to meet new people and learn new things.  We have a 60 gallon Red Sea tank.  We have had it up and running for about 5 months now. We have live rock and sand in there. I think we are not a patient as we need to be, as we have put fish and corals in already. I think we are off to a good start and testing 3 times a week and seem be to able to keep water pretty stable for now. I have attached a few pictures of out tank and sump. 

Please let me know what you think and what you may have done differently.   I am very open to new ideas/comments. 

Thank for your time. 

Morse Family.

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

• Like 3

Welcome to the club! Red Seas are great tanks. 

Patience is definitely a difficult thing to have when there are so many cool things. 

Five months should be more than ample time to start adding things particularly if you used one of the many products that adds nitrifying bacteria. 

Probably the biggest change I noticed was the lighting. All the other technology (Apex, trident , algae scrubbers ) are just new toys. You can still have a decent tank with regular water changes , a good skimmer and a good nutrient remover like a refugium. It all just depends on what you want and what you like to do .

Emerald525,

Yes my last tank had MH and T5's.  I actually really liked them.  My Read Sea came with AI Hydra 26's.  To tell you the truth its a bit overwhelming how much control you have. I do like to be able to change the colors for showing people the florescence of the corals.  But to get them set correctly to grow everything the best seems a bit too much. 

I was just reading some of the other topics and it looks like there was some sort of $10 frag sale.  How do we get in on that?

2 hours ago, MorseReef said:

Hello,

My family is just getting back into reef keeping from being out of the hobby for many years.  Wow has technology changed.  We are finding that dome things have changed (technology) and other have not (keep water parameters stable).  We are looking to meet new people and learn new things.  We have a 60 gallon Red Sea tank.  We have had it up and running for about 5 months now. We have live rock and sand in there. I think we are not a patient as we need to be, as we have put fish and corals in already. I think we are off to a good start and testing 3 times a week and seem be to able to keep water pretty stable for now. I have attached a few pictures of out tank and sump. 

Please let me know what you think and what you may have done differently.   I am very open to new ideas/comments. 

Thank for your time. 

Morse Family.

Welcome back to the hobby.  I started my Red Sea Reefer 425 just over one year ago.  I added my first fish after 2 months, then corals on the 3rd month.  By month 5 I had about 30 corals, so I don't think you're rushing with yours.  I currently have about 85 corals and no regrets on how quickly I added things.

Nice rock work!  Looks good.

Thank you. We stare at this thing for hours.  Before we added fish we would have people over and they would say "Where is the fish?"  and we would just stare into the tank and say don't you see everything else in there?  Its a fun hobby.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MorseReef said:

Emerald525,

Yes my last tank had MH and T5's.  I actually really liked them.  My Read Sea came with AI Hydra 26's.  To tell you the truth its a bit overwhelming how much control you have. I do like to be able to change the colors for showing people the florescence of the corals.  But to get them set correctly to grow everything the best seems a bit too much. 

I was just reading some of the other topics and it looks like there was some sort of $10 frag sale.  How do we get in on that?

The ten dollar frags is something one of our local reefers does . The ten dollar group buys were just something Jeff at Cuttlefish did for a recent party . I still prefer T-5a and Mhs over LEDs but the LEDs do save on the heat and electricity 

6 hours ago, MorseReef said:

Just keep an eye on these forums.  The $10 frag sales usually happen a couple times per year and announcements are posted in advance.