Avast Swabbie Cleaning?

youcallmenny

Well, I just finished up putting my new Swabbie in the skimmer and have a burning question for the enterprising folks who have been using them.  

Their site says to clean the lid and cup every two weeks at most. That's great but the motor doesn't look very water proof and having to unscrew it every time doesn't sound fun.  Tips?  Suggestions?  How do you clean yours?

Also, what's up with the metal bolt/nut that holds the wiper on? That seems like it would rust very quickly.

The power cord on mine is routed through the sump cabinet to my Apex.  There's no way I would take the time to unplug it, pull the cable through the cabinet wall, take it to a sink to wash, then feed the power cord back through the cabinet to plug it in.  It only takes me 30 seconds to wipe it with a paper towel every couple weeks.

But if you want to wash yours, that's up to you.

• Like 1

Well I've got an extension cord in place so that the actual cord of the motor is just wrapped around it and sitting there for easy removal.  It's not so much the main power line I'm concerned about since mine isn't like that as I am with getting the motor assembly wet.  

I emailed Avast about it.  I'll post the answer here when I receive it.  Definitely a worthwhile purchase.  It does exactly what it says and my skimmer is operating nicely already because of it.  

59 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Well I've got an extension cord in place so that the actual cord of the motor is just wrapped around it and sitting there for easy removal.  It's not so much the main power line I'm concerned about since mine isn't like that as I am with getting the motor assembly wet.  

I emailed Avast about it.  I'll post the answer here when I receive it.  Definitely a worthwhile purchase.  It does exactly what it says and my skimmer is operating nicely already because of it.  

Picture?

I clean mine about once every year at most!  Seriously, no more is necessary for performance reasons.  Neck cleaners are amazing!  Now that cleaner is sure dirty by years end, should take some pics...

Next time I clean, will check the bolt.  So far I recall no rust whatsoever.  Avast is a good bunch, I tend to trust their stuff... but its always smart to be cautious...

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TheClark said:

I clean mine about once every year at most!  Seriously, no more is necessary for performance reasons.  Neck cleaners are amazing!  Now that cleaner is sure dirty by years end, should take some pics...

Next time I clean, will check the bolt.  So far I recall no rust whatsoever.  Avast is a good bunch, I tend to trust their stuff... but its always smart to be cautious...

Thanks Jeremy!  That's precisely what I was hoping to hear.  I think at that rate there's no real reason to stress any method of cleaning.  I'm excited to give my first one a try!

26 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Thanks Jeremy!  That's precisely what I was hoping to hear.  I think at that rate there's no real reason to stress any method of cleaning.  I'm excited to give my first one a try!

NP, about the only thing that can make it under-perform is if the squeegee is not making proper contact with the neck.  It's easy to check with a flashlight though if you can get above the neck after a week or two...

• Like 1

This is what Justin Casp of Avast had to say:

"Hi,
It is very water resistant, but I don’t recommend submerging it for long periods. Spraying it down with a hose or running it under the faucet is fine."

Good to know! This thing is turning out better than I initially thought.  Thanks for the help everybody!

• Like 2