Anyone interested in group buy

36 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

bummer.  Mesh for the win!!   I mean, to each his own but if you haven't tried mesh socks...  man they are sooooo easy to clean. 

So I've been meaning to ask your impression of the capacity of the mesh vs. the traditional fabric.  Seems like the mesh is pretty two dimensional so potentially less "holding" capacity.  Of course, if that leads you to change them more often that may be more beneficial anyway.

This is the kind of weird thing about the capacity... the fabric can catch things in the "fuzzy" parts thus they are not passing through the 200 micron portion.  For the mesh socks, everything blocks one of the 200 micron "pores".  So they do tend to muck up much faster.  The upside, which you alluded to is that they clog up and then you know that they need to be cleaned.  With the fabric socks you can leave them in much longer and effectively "reduce maintenance"  but what you are effectively doing is passing all of your aquarium water through your waste products.  Nobody would ever say "hang a bag of fish poop, old food, and other detritus" in your sump but this in effect is what the fabric socks achieve.  You are literally filtering your water through a large amount of debris.   By design the mesh socks don't allow this, they will hold much less debris because the pores get clogged and water then doesn't flow through them.  

That, and it literally takes nothing to clean them.  Turn inside out and rinse, rub in your hands a little, done. 

Just my 2 cents, both work fine I suppose but I have decided to use the mesh guys. 

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

This is the kind of weird thing about the capacity... the fabric can catch things in the "fuzzy" parts thus they are not passing through the 200 micron portion.  For the mesh socks, everything blocks one of the 200 micron "pores".  So they do tend to muck up much faster.  The upside, which you alluded to is that they clog up and then you know that they need to be cleaned.  With the fabric socks you can leave them in much longer and effectively "reduce maintenance"  but what you are effectively doing is passing all of your aquarium water through your waste products.  Nobody would ever say "hang a bag of fish poop, old food, and other detritus" in your sump but this in effect is what the fabric socks achieve.  You are literally filtering your water through a large amount of debris.   By design the mesh socks don't allow this, they will hold much less debris because the pores get clogged and water then doesn't flow through them.  

That, and it literally takes nothing to clean them.  Turn inside out and rinse, rub in your hands a little, done. 

Just my 2 cents, both work fine I suppose but I have decided to use the mesh guys. 

Thanks for the feedback!  This is pretty much what I expected but good to see it confirmed from practical experience.  Unfortunately, when you did the group by, it was the wrong size for me 😞 

• 1 month later...

Can we revive this thread?  I need to replace all of my socks.  I would need 24 socks so if you need just 25 i will take the 25th too.  The issue, I live up in WA near Tacoma.  I do go to Portland ever couple of months for work to visit a client.  I will be down tomorrow for the day driving down first thing in the morning and returning tomorrow night.  I could meet up after my meetings with funds.  If not I will be ordering them anyways.