ID?

nrc

Have been trying to get a decent pic of these things.   Today caught them surfing through (eating maybe?) some hair algae.    Anyone know what they are good/bad/neither?

Actual size is about 3mm long.

critters.jpg

47 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Well they are definitely nudis although not all are “bad”. Maybe Bert @badxgillen or Sid @IntoTheMystic could ID those particular ones. Kind of cool looking anyway. Here’s hoping for the friendly variety. 

Good advice, as always. I was going to suggest remove it and put it into a black/dark container, get a magnifying glass and get a real good look at him. Sometimes you can use a small magnifying glass in front of the lens on your camera/phone and turn it into a "macro shot" to help i.d him better. Can always put him back in if he proves beneficial or just pleasant to look at as long as he plays nice. 

If you attempt to get a "cheap macro shot" he needs to be no more the an inch from the glass and it might take you a few try's before you get a good focused one. Don't get discouraged if you cant get a good focused one. It will take a few try's and a little practice/patience. Just keep adjusting the distance of the camera lens from the magnifying glass until in focus.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChrisQ said:

Good advice, as always. I was going to suggest remove it and put it into a black/dark container, get a magnifying glass and get a real good look at him. Sometimes you can use a small magnifying glass in front of the lens on your camera/phone and turn it into a "macro shot" to help i.d him better. Can always put him back in if he proves beneficial or just pleasant to look at as long as he plays nice. 

If you attempt to get a "cheap macro shot" he needs to be no more the an inch from the glass and it might take you a few try's before you get a good focused one. Don't get discouraged if you cant get a good focused one. It will take a few try's and a little practice/patience. Just keep adjusting the distance of the camera lens from the magnifying glass until in focus.  

Definitely would be good to contain them if possible until you can get a conclusive ID.

• Like 1

They are zoa eating slugs! I have battled with these over and over and over. I finally nipped it in the butt about one yr ago and glad they are gone! 

Once you think you have them gone...nope they are back over and over again.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flash21 said:

They are zoa eating slugs! I have battled with these over and over and over. I finally nipped it in the butt about one yr ago and glad they are gone! 

Break out the siphon hose :censored:  :beaten:  :black_eyed:

Either way, the sooner we can get one collected and properly i.d'ed the better, like Albertareef stated.

3 hours ago, Flash21 said:

What did you ultimately have to do?

Dip dip dip. Every 2-3 times a week of what you can.  Helps to get a wrasse! I just was on top of them like a vulture!  

It’s no fun to lose 100s and 1000s of dollars in zoas.  Watching them melt from one day to the next.  Eventually I think I was left with hardly any zoas in the tank and had to start over on Zoas. I was at one point never going to do zoas because of this...but they are so so pretty! 

We had two tanks at that time and well both had it and I defeated it twice! Now we have three tanks and I believe we are pest free! 

21 hours ago, albertareef said:

Well they are definitely nudis although not all are “bad”. Maybe Bert @badxgillen or Sid @IntoTheMystic could ID those particular ones. Kind of cool looking anyway. Here’s hoping for the friendly variety. 

You guys nailed part of the ID of this critter for sure. That's def an aeolid nudibranch. Which one, I cannot say. I've never dealt with these before. I'd try to siphon as many as I can with a piece of rigid airline and do some images searches for a more precise ID. Good luck with these!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

I see a clove polyp unless those green spots move places and are not cloves or GSP. Just pick them off for now but that Frag looks toasted with hair algae, I would know when I see another furry thing

That was my first though. it does look like a clove polyp.......and a flourscent green nudi at 11 Oclock, 1 Oclock and one at around 7

On 6/3/2018 at 11:10 AM, nrc said:

Holy cow I hope not (zoa eating).    I will keep an eye on 'em and see how it does.

Are most/all of the smaller nudis considered pests?   

One of the best things i was taught in this hobby is the act of "proactiveness" You literally can't keep an eye on them and see how it goes... These monsters are laying eggs at a near constant rate IMO.

Look for these

9836nudi_eggs-med.jpg

And start siphoning out as many as possible now, most of our night critters will response very quickly to a normal flashlight and you'll be lucky to even get your arm in the tank before their long gone and most of the critters we DON'T want will be out at night. Use a red led, most can't see this spectrum very well and allows us to sometimes get the drop on them.

Start doing weekly dips as well. This will have No affect on the eggs though.

Hence the weekly dips.

Lastly, i don't know what you have for fish stock but i would suggest getting a QT setup and picking up a Yellow coris wrasse or a few other species that will help you decimate this craziness. 

Be pro active in everything you do in this hobby.

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 1

If do decide to setup QT for wrasses, most need a sand bed to sleep at night and use for cover if frightened.

Get a couple nice pest free pieces of live rock and a rectangular Tupperware (showing my sad age :dry:  lol ) container with 2.5-3'' of sand in it and stick it next to the rock.

If you're going to treat with any meds, just use well seeded filter media "filter floss" or something like that.

I'm just kind of thinking out loud at this point, we all want to see you get through this with minimal damage and some of these guys/pests you don't want to give them an inch.

If you need a tank let me know, i'm sure i got something suitable.

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 1

Sorry I am late to the party here but I have been absent for a few days.

If you have another pic of them top down that would be great to help get a more positive ID. But I have to agree that being preventative would be the best course of action and manual removal and dips being your go to "combat" methods. If they are So a eating Nudis it will take quite a bit of effort to deal with them.

On 6/4/2018 at 10:27 AM, MrBret said:

That was my first though. it does look like a clove polyp.......and a flourscent green nudi at 11 Oclock, 1 Oclock and one at around 7

11 o'clock and 1 o'clock for sure.   And they were moving, which was how I spotted them to begin with.   The object at ~7 is a semi-opened zoa... the shade of green on the outer ring is remarkably similiar to the color of the nudi - which further supports the idea that the nudi evolved to eat them.

23 hours ago, ChrisQ said:

One of the best things i was taught in this hobby is the act of "proactiveness" You literally can't keep an eye on them and see how it goes... These monsters are laying eggs at a near constant rate IMO.

Look for these

9836nudi_eggs-med.jpg

And start siphoning out as many as possible now, most of our night critters will response very quickly to a normal flashlight and you'll be lucky to even get your arm in the tank before their long gone and most of the critters we DON'T want will be out at night. Use a red led, most can't see this spectrum very well and allows us to sometimes get the drop on them.

Start doing weekly dips as well. This will have No affect on the eggs though.

Hence the weekly dips.

Lastly, i don't know what you have for fish stock but i would suggest getting a QT setup and picking up a Yellow coris wrasse or a few other species that will help you decimate this craziness. 

Be pro active in everything you do in this hobby.

Thanks - I'll look for those eggs / haven't seen any yet will keep checking.  I did siphon all the nudis I could find.  Those first two weren't at all bothered by the lights.

As to my stock - I've only got 2 clownfish, a peppermint shrimp, and a half dozen assorted hermits and snails.   The tank is on the small side for a Wrasse (33 gallon).

Thanks all for the suggestions.

8 hours ago, badxgillen said:

Sorry I am late to the party here but I have been absent for a few days.

If you have another pic of them top down that would be great to help get a more positive ID. But I have to agree that being preventative would be the best course of action and manual removal and dips being your go to "combat" methods. If they are So a eating Nudis it will take quite a bit of effort to deal with them.

Thanks and will do.

1 hour ago, Flash21 said:

You’ll be able to get a wrasse in there! Lighting will not affect  Zoa Eating slugs on what time of day they come out.  

Best of luck and get a wrasse or two in there.  

If I go with a wrasse - which one?   My primary concern is not wanting anything to bully the clowns, secondary would be eating coral.  

Possum, Yellow Corris,  Tanaka - any preference?

(Note to self* I'll want to put an egg crate or something on top of the tank if I get one.  I hear they are jumpers)

1 hour ago, nrc said:

If I go with a wrasse - which one?   My primary concern is not wanting anything to bully the clowns, secondary would be eating coral.  

Possum, Yellow Corris,  Tanaka - any preference?

(Note to self* I'll want to put an egg crate or something on top of the tank if I get one.  I hear they are jumpers)

I would say a reef safe coris (e.g. green), melanarus, leopard, possum, mystery all would probably work.  My green coris is particularly ingenious when it comes to hunting - has learned to follow around the diamond goby so it can pick goodies off of anything it exposes in its sifting work.  I would be less confident in any of the fairy wrasses or flashers.