Found fish fry in filter sock.

Brian Tesch

Today I found my lawnmower blenny along with 2 fish fry in my filter sock. Although I am unsure what type of fry they are based on body shape and proximity I believe they are also blennies. 

Not entirely sure how much effort I am willing to put in for these guys, what kind of food will they need?

Anyone have any experience in breeding lawnmower blennies, what kind of chance for survival do these guys have?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

That is pretty wild.  Wish I had some knowledge/experience to help you out but that is new to me so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Yeah , I am not really prepared for it. I will probably just release then into refugium, and take steps so they can escape the fuge. Theyll have unlimited amounts of pods and algae down there.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brian Tesch said:

Yeah , I am not really prepared for it. I will probably just release then into refugium, and take steps so they can escape the fuge. Theyll have unlimited amounts of pods and algae down there.

Any ability to get some pictures?  That's a sight we don't get to see.  Sounds like the safest part of the tank for them, barring getting sucked into the filtration.  Keep us updated!

• 1 month later...

Update-

Decided to turn some rocks over today in the sump to see if either of the fry survived. To my surprise one has, and it seems to be thriving as he is now around 1 inch. Does anyone have any idea what he is? Based on the eye position and overall body profile I do not believe it is a blenny anymore.

20180606_213418.thumb.jpg.7b7e947e5e602ee5dbc8f85362391714.jpg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, CrazyInside said:

What fish do you have in your system that is a pair or more?

In the tank I have 2 yellow tangs, 4 carbarryi anthias (all female), 1 lawnmower blenny, 2 leopard wrasse (female), yellow tale damsel. Its a new tank and all the fish are new so maybe one was shipped pregnant and I didnt notice.

Wow. I am super curious what your new inhabitant is. Hopefully it is a new beast of a fish that is easy to bread and lives off of algae, diatoms, aiptasia and helps tangs coexist :)

Edited by freddyk
  • Like 1