RO/DI Unit - How Many Stages? 4,5,6?

Knuckledragger

I have always bought RO/DI water at the lfs but now Ocean in a Box is closed (maybe for good). I am considering setting up my own RO/DI unit but have never run one of my own. I am in Battle Ground, WA. and not sure what the TDS of the city water is or how many “stages” I would need for the unit. I don’t think they use Chloramine in the city water but I could be wrong. Help me out with your experience and knowledge!

call the city and find out if they have chloramine in the water. Mine does so I upgraded my 4 stage to a 6 stage. I don't have the BRS 150 gpd upgrade but I regret not getting that. 90gpd is too slow

also automatic shut off is a life saver!

I added the flush valve also

BRS 6 stage 150 gpd with automatic shut off and flush valve is the best value imo. I ended up spending more by doing upgrades on mine and I'm stuck with 90 gpd

Edited by Manny Tavan

9 hours ago, Greg123 said:

neptune's coral is in the same parking lot and bobby sells rodi water and salt water mix rc/io 50/50 you just have to call him and make an appointment

Thanks for the heads up! I may still pick up a RO/DI unit to save trips back and forth. This would also allow me to really keep track of exactly what is in the water I am using. Do you know how well Neptune’s Coral keeps up in water quality/filter changes - DI resin, RO membranes, etc?

I don’t think OIAB is closed, as far as I know it is now under new ownership (Jason sold it).

this Neptune place...do you mean Bobby (the detailer, Autospa 360) sells stuff now???

RODI systems are more about the filters themselves. One of the best is the Spectrapure 99% rejection “spectra-select”. This is a 90gpd unit. Keep in mind that you have to have the necessary pressure to run a 150gpd membrane which will require a booster pump. As far as “must haves” for the unit, I’d make sure you get:

-flush kit

-dual or triple inline TDS meter

-good membrane

I run 3 stages of pre filters, membrane, and dual DI chambers (for longer time between replacement). I also have a booster pump but that’s not necessary, however it does make the unit more efficient. 

1 hour ago, Blue Z Reef said:

I don’t think OIAB is closed, as far as I know it is now under new ownership (Jason sold it).

I was there the other day and they were emptying Ocean in a Box out. They took tanks and all. It has been closed every since........😢

Thank you for the RO/DI info! I appreciate the help and will check out Neptune’s Coral.

Oh man that makes me sad! I hope they are either remodeling or moving to a new location. The new owner seemed pretty nice and excited about it (and the potential improvements he wanted to make)...can’t image it would be closing up so fast... 😩

If you need some water in a pinch, I’m in Camas and can get you some.