Which stores to visit?

jtarmitage

Being new to the area, and not having had the time to make all the rounds yet, which stores are best to visit?  First off, I'm looking for a few reef safe fish, so who has the best selection of healthy livestock?  Later will be for corals.  Who caters toward the coral market?  I'm in the Happy Valley area...

It depends on where you live. Seahorse is in NE Portland. It’s a small shop and garage type operation so often you can find some very nice corals for a steal. Cuttlefish is in the SW Portland area has a large selection of fish and I always get my fish there. Jeff is usually very good about making sure they are healthy before he sells them.  

If you don’t want to quarantine your fish Gil&Fin who owns Saltwater Harmony has a very rigorous quarantine process that I would recommend. It just takes one diseased fish to wipe out your investment and you can’t always tell by looking at the fish.

Paradise Corals is in Hillsboro area it’s a small shop but a nice one and they just got a new section with cool fish. They also have cool jellyfish tanks!

Upscales is the oldest shop and that’s in Tigard area off of I-5 and it’s a big shop with lots of dry goods and tanks. 

All Things Aquarium is in Wilsonville and they also have a decent sized shop and I got seahorses from them but not other fish.

The Premium Aquarium in Salem has a great assortment of fresh and saltwater tanks and also a fun group and worth the trip. It is only about 40 minutes from me and I live in SE Portland. 

I have never been to West Coast corals but Paratore who owns it has a large selection of zoas. Not sure if he sells fish. I usually just meet him as he is too far out and primarily does online.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the replies.  I hit up Cuttle fish and picked up a few fish, and made a run over to Paradise to check things out.  Need to find a couple pieces of rock and a bag of sand this week to complete the hardscape, but it's well on it's way.  At some point in the near future, I'll be on the search for a few specific fish like either a Regal or Majestic Angel, as well as a few wrasses.  After that, and once the pod population has had some time to mature, I'll be on the hunt for a pair of Mandarins :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for the replies.  I hit up Cuttle fish and picked up a few fish, and made a run over to Paradise to check things out.  Need to find a couple pieces of rock and a bag of sand this week to complete the hardscape, but it's well on it's way.  At some point in the near future, I'll be on the search for a few specific fish like either a Regal or Majestic Angel, as well as a few wrasses.  After that, and once the pod population has had some time to mature, I'll be on the hunt for a pair of Mandarins [emoji4]
I've got Jakarta Red Mandarins in stock. I believe I have males and female and they eat frozen. Also, will have a fresh batch of pods in Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATA Wilsonville said:

I've got Jakarta Red Mandarins in stock. I believe I have males and female and they eat frozen. Also, will have a fresh batch of pods in Tuesday.

Nice...I may need to make a run to check them out.  I had the greens in mind, but reds are beautiful as well, and eating frozen means I wouldn't need to wait for the pod population bloom...lol

Nice...I may need to make a run to check them out.  I had the greens in mind, but reds are beautiful as well, and eating frozen means I wouldn't need to wait for the pod population bloom...lol
Always good to have pods. The Apocyclop pods I've been carrying establish in weeks. Very fast breeders. Lol

• Like 1