Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Swampy

Hobby joys

Recommended Posts

Just when I thought I was learning.  I hit the fun joy of my di resin expiring and spiking my ammonia.  I know a saw a thread on here about that.  At least I caught the spike early on and only lost my poor sick nem and one other thing.  Now I get to deal with the spike in nitrates.  

So for all of the new people don’t forget to check your ro/di water on occasion.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer!

Chloramines?

I wish there was a way to inject prime with a venturi, or drip it into the RODI container for stuff like this.

Hang in there, what doesn't kill ya...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you need to do an ammonia test or does that show up on TDS? I haven't changed my di resin in a long time but my TDS meter on the unit still reads zero off the di. I even bought a little hand held TDS meter to check to make sure it was functioning correctly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Willapa said:

Do you need to do an ammonia test or does that show up on TDS? I haven't changed my di resin in a long time but my TDS meter on the unit still reads zero off the di. I even bought a little hand held TDS meter to check to make sure it was functioning correctly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A TDS Reader is certainly not going to pick up Ammonia in the tank.

My question is why would "Expired" DI resin leak Ammonia? Is this a shelf date to the DI Resin we are referring to or a Spent Cartridge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Swampy said:

Just when I thought I was learning.  I hit the fun joy of my di resin expiring and spiking my ammonia.  I know a saw a thread on here about that.  At least I caught the spike early on and only lost my poor sick nem and one other thing.  Now I get to deal with the spike in nitrates.  

So for all of the new people don’t forget to check your ro/di water on occasion.  

Yep - PDXmonkeyboy had a thread on this a couple months back.  Same thing happened to him when portland bumped up the chloramines due to the water supply switch over and it overwhelmed his unit - does not show up with TDS so was basically adding ammonia to his tank while doing top up and water changes.  caused a major algae outbreak and bleached a lot of coral in his case but things bounced back.

This is one of those cases where adding prime routinely to your replacement water (as TheClark suggests) could save you some grief at some point but that kind of defeats the purpose of using RO/DI at some level.  I am pretty sure that Badxgillen just treats his water with prime/equivalent and doesn't even use RO/DI but he is on a different water source down south.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, albertareef said:

Yep - PDXmonkeyboy had a thread on this a couple months back.  Same thing happened to him when portland bumped up the chloramines due to the water supply switch over and it overwhelmed his unit.

This makes a Lot more sense :) So I would suggest if the water is that terrible up there investing in a Dual TDS Meter from BRS or elsewhere for the RODI unit to simply read it while the water is being filtered, and especially a flush valve to preserve the RO membrane. Swampy is your DI Resin not in a Clear Canister to visually observe when it is spent? BRS also sales Refil Canisters with che DI Resin for refills (A very cost effective way to go at it) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The canister is clear it’s just that the indicator on it was not that clear.  I like the idea of the refil kit from brs.  I will look into getting one of those next.  I stopped by Bret’s shop and got a new di filter on order through him.  While I was there MrsBrer had some Fluconazole.  Since I have been fighting alge I got some of that to treat my tank.  And on reflection the top off water I was using was not helping me chase the nitrates in the water.  So I will see how well that works.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have a TDS meter on my rodi and I'll give it to someone if they want it. if your rodi suddenly starts making tons of water... you ripped the membrane.. if it stops making water.. it's time to replace.

Buy a refillable DI cartridge and a pack of color changing resin. When half of the cartridge changes color to gold.. CHANGE IT!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×