Anyone know of any tricks for adding multiple tangs

AcanLord

I have a yellow and scopas tang in my DT already. They've been there for about 10 months. They get along but they've killed a small sailfin tang and stressed a CBB out till it died too. That was 8 months ago. Since then they've chilled out and don't even seem interested in new additions to the tank. My LFS had purple tangs for $150 and it was eating like a pig and had been there for a few weeks. So I got him. He's done with quarantine and I want to put him in the DT. I'm so nervous about it that I went out and bought a sailfin tang just so I could help disperse aggression. All tangs are within a half inch of each other in size but the yellow tang looks like it's on steroids. I'm putting them in tonight when the lights go to 1% and keeping my fingers crossed. I know I could rearrange my rocks but I love my set up and I don't want to stress out the entire tank. I'm doing a massive water change today. I've read that I can float water bottles to distract them, or put pictures of tangs on the glass to distract or use mirrors. Does anyone else have any tips? Also, I'm getting a maxima in the mail tomorrow, any tips for acclimating that would be appreciated. Thank you in advance! ce300f806123d5aa6a650686150824d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a yellow and scopas tang in my DT already. They've been there for about 10 months. They get along but they've killed a small sailfin tang and stressed a CBB out till it died too. That was 8 months ago. Since then they've chilled out and don't even seem interested in new additions to the tank. My LFS had purple tangs for $150 and it was eating like a pig and had been there for a few weeks. So I got him. He's done with quarantine and I want to put him in the DT. I'm so nervous about it that I went out and bought a sailfin tang just so I could help disperse aggression. All tangs are within a half inch of each other in size but the yellow tang looks like it's on steroids. I'm putting them in tonight when the lights go to 1% and keeping my fingers crossed. I know I could rearrange my rocks but I love my set up and I don't want to stress out the entire tank. I'm doing a massive water change today. I've read that I can float water bottles to distract them, or put pictures of tangs on the glass to distract or use mirrors. Does anyone else have any tips? Also, I'm getting a maxima in the mail tomorrow, any tips for acclimating that would be appreciated. Thank you in advance! ce300f806123d5aa6a650686150824d2.jpg

Probably will not end will if you just drop the purple in. I would put the purple in a large social box in the DT. This way the existing tangs can't beat up the purple and can get use to him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sounds like have gotten a few good ideas already. The only other ones I have heard of were either removing all the tangs for a while and adding them back together (requires multiple spare tanks) or keeping the new fish in isolation boxes within the DT for a while before relaeasing them in the tank. I think Danlu may have been the one how used this approach successfully recently.

oddly, I have kept multiple tangs together in various tanks over the years without a major problem except for one really aggressive scopas that terrorized a new purple. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, danlu_gt said:

Probably will not end will if you just drop the purple in. I would put the purple in a large social box in the DT. This way the existing tangs can't beat up the purple and can get use to him.

You must have been typing as I wrote my response. Good to see my memory was correct!

Sounds like have gotten a few good ideas already. The only other ones I have heard of were either removing all the tangs for a while and adding them back together (requires multiple spare tanks) or keeping the new fish in isolation boxes within the DT for a while before relaeasing them in the tank. I think Danlu may have been the one how used this approach successfully recently.
oddly, I have kept multiple tangs together in various tanks over the years without a major problem except for one really aggressive scopas that terrorized a new purple. 

Similarly, if you can catch your current tangs, you can put them in the acclimation box and/or the sump. Then put the new additions in the DT.

How big is the tank? If you've got decent space you'll have more success. In my 180 I've managed to do all my additions without any big problems. First was Sail Fin, then Hippo, then Vlamingi, then a blonde Naso. Last addition was a CBB who is fantastic. For me, the vlamingi bullied the naso and CBB for a day or two, but that was it. I like to feed a lot the day I'm adding a new fish. Idk if that matters, but I figured a full belly will likely mean a more satisfied fish...who knows, though?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Higher Thinking said:

Similarly, if you can catch your current tangs, you can put them in the acclimation box and/or the sump. Then put the new additions in the DT.

How big is the tank? If you've got decent space you'll have more success. In my 180 I've managed to do all my additions without any big problems. First was Sail Fin, then Hippo, then Vlamingi, then a blonde Naso. Last addition was a CBB who is fantastic. For me, the vlamingi bullied the naso and CBB for a day or two, but that was it. I like to feed a lot the day I'm adding a new fish. Idk if that matters, but I figured a full belly will likely mean a more satisfied fish...who knows, though?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I have seen this tang collection and they seem really well adjusted so must have done something right!

• Like 1

I have a feeling the yellow tang is going to destroy the purple tang.  Just my gut feeling though.

Consider putting the yellow tang in the acclimation box as @Higher Thinking suggested.  You want the new guy to have the advantage.

@ssappington feeds his fish very well too, by hand might i add.  No doubt it helps.

I have seen guys like @Blue Z Reef with multiple yellow tangs all getting along.  I did not have that same luck with 2 in a 240.

So I guess in the end ymmv, hth...

Good luck, it is quite stressful when everyone is not getting along!

• Like 1

Only other trick I haven't seen mentioned was using a mirror up to the tank side. Current fish see their reflection and "get used to" other tank mates of the same type. It's always scary putting in a new fish with this potential but I think the acclimation box will help and at least let you know with no one getting hurt if it's going to work or not.

to have 3 yellows and a blue they all were added to the tank that only had 1 smaller yellow at the time. Crowd confusion worked lol

• Like 1

When I added a CBB our powder blue went bizzerk! CBB took damage on all fins. I used a 6" sq mirror. I first tried taping the mirror to the front and side of the tank, but the PB would only posture if he randomly saw himself. So then I followed the PB around the tank, holding the mirror right infront/over him. He would posture and attack it constantly, end to end of the tank, did this for 5+ min. Then taped it at the end of the tank. PB never left all afternoon, posturing and attacking even from the other end of the tank. The CBB probably thought he was nuts! Never bothered him again.... By evening, the PB looked exhausted, and my six line and flame angel took their turns posturing themselves, for hours. When the lights went out, I took the mirror off. Never had an issue anymore. Now they all eat like pigs :)

• Like 2

Very curious how this turns out. I'm introducing two sailfins to my tank on Sunday afternoon. They are used to each other and much large than what I have in the tank currently. I don't think anything I have should threaten them though. Snowflake eel, dog faced puffer, hawk nose, clowns, goby and one a-hole damsel. That bastard has been in there since I did my setup a couple years ago. Can't seem to catch him without destroying the reef.

• Like 1

I never realized yellow tangs had such issues with CBBs. I introduced a CBB to my tank last week and I've had nothing but minor posturing for a few minutes through out the day.

That said I feed my fish a whole lot - I mean they are fat. I buy my fish as small as I can get them and feed them a lot. It seems to really mitigate aggression for me. You could always attempt multiple algae clips around the tank. In the wild I feel like most territory squabbling stems from food.

• Like 1

First morning update: I fed very heavy before adding the 2 new tangs. Once the lights had been out for about a half hour I just drop acclimated them and put them in. The SF just floated around not really sure what to do. The PT immediately went looking for a cave and found the yellow tang. The YT started posturing up and darting at the PT without actually touching it. During this time the PT found the nori clip and for the first time ever, ate nori from a clip, while the YT was trying to be tough haha I just walked out there, with lights turned off and only slight sunlight entering the tank and all the fish are just cruising around. Idk if they can't see each other or it's just too early in the morning to start fighting but everything seems ok so far. Thank you for all of your responses. If I had the ability to catch the yellow and scopas I would have. I've been trying for weeks and haven't even come close. So I went for it. I have the next 3 days off so I'm hoping to pay close attention and save any fish that may need it. I already had to save the PT from my female Darwin clown and gramma that were in quarantine with it. By the first morning she was laying on the ground barely moving. Now she's fine and eats like a pig!!

• Like 5

Sounds good so far. Hope it works out. Would love to have a purple in mine but afraid to disrupt the equilibrium at this point. 

I feel like sometimes you just gotta go for it. There is definitely some aggression and chasing but so far things seem standard. My coral beauty tried to get in on the chasing but seems to have given up. I'm going to go get pictures of yellow tangs and tape them to the glass.

• Like 1

There's a lot less tang aggression today. They're leaving the sail fin alone and I think the purple is too scared to come all the way out but she just caught and ate a stamp sized piece of nori so she's looking good. Definitely got her fins nipped up but I've got my fingers crossed that the worst of it is over.
The PT is coming out and getting a bite of nori then going back to its spot. The YT and ST seem to be leaving it alone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AcanLord said:

There's a lot less tang aggression today. They're leaving the sail fin alone and I think the purple is too scared to come all the way out but she just caught and ate a stamp sized piece of nori so she's looking good. Definitely got her fins nipped up but I've got my fingers crossed that the worst of it is over.
The PT is coming out and getting a bite of nori then going back to its spot. The YT and ST seem to be leaving it alone.

Sounds like you may have weathered the storm.  Hope everyone manages to keep their cool - will make for a great collection.