Opinions on T5 Lighting for a Small Tank

halcyonism

First a little bit of background...

I currently have a 200g cube that I am in the process of shutting down and selling off.  The tank is lit with a 400w Radium and 4x 39w T5s and I absolutely love the color and the growth, but with two small children at home I just do not have the time for the maintenance that a large tank can require.  Once the tank is gone I will be replacing it with a >/< 60g tank that I am planning on lighting with strictly T5.

Now, on to my question...  the new tank will be approximately 30x24x16, so I am looking at 24" fixtures, but the question is do I need 6 or 8 bulbs?  Stocking plan is primarily softies and LPS with maybe one or two SPS pieces down the road.

Thanks for looking!

should be fine with a 6 bulb, but the best part about T5 is that it only takes an additional bulb or two to get a full spread, not a new fixture, so if the 8 bulb will cover more of the tank I would go with that.

Edited by Exodus

I'm looking at doing the same led/t5 on my new cube. What t5 colors do you find best for supplementing the led? Probably ati bulbs yeah?

Sorry for hijacking! I also agree with exodus, the more light the better, can always raise it!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

A quality (ATI Sunpower or similar) 6 bulb fixture will do you fine with those dimensions. 8 bulbs definitely isn't overkill either though.

I highly recommend staying away from the lesser expensive T5 fixtures that use inexpensive ballasts, cheap reflectors etc... These things make a HUGE difference when you're talking T5 only fixtures.

The fixture on my shortlist was the ATI Dimmable Sunpower.

What hurts is shelling out $560 on the fixture and then another $160 in bulbs...  the more I think about it, the more I am considering the evil that is LEDs.

Well the problem with LED's is most people end up just buying the set fixtures from EcoTech or AI etc. Then they can't figure out why they aren't seeing the growth they did previously, as they only have 1 fixture propped above the tank. The only true successful LED tanks I have seen have multiple fixtures spreading across the entire tank covering everything, not just 1 or 2 expected to light not only below them but several inch radius around them. So if you figure the price of multiple LED's the initial cost is more expensive in most cases, in the long run? That's debatable though there are several options such as buying cheap fixtures or DIY that can drop the prices down radically. It's up to you but if you choose T5 be sure you buy ATI or Gieismann Fixtures and bulbs, they really do make a difference.

• Like 1

The fixture on my shortlist was the ATI Dimmable Sunpower.

What hurts is shelling out $560 on the fixture and then another $160 in bulbs...  the more I think about it, the more I am considering the evil that is LEDs.

I've owned the dimmable as well as the non-dimmable Sunpower and the only benefit is the visual of the sun up and sun down other than that you'll want to drive the bulbs at 100% the rest of the time.

I'd say look for a used one but you better be quick cause they definitely don't last long online... A lot of people seem to want to go back to T5 these days.

Also, given your stock plans of not being so highly sps.  I would recommend saving a little on the light and pushing for other areas with high end equipment.  

I am doing LED/T5 on my current build and think its kind of the best of both worlds.  You can get the dimming effect, and the color/growth for much less cost.  Also the LEDs make up the blue spectrum, and you can supplement with t5.

my 2 cents.

Currently I am running a 400w Radium supplemented with ATI true actinic and purple plus. I love the color and growth, but unfortunately the new tank is going in the living room and the wife wants a light fixture that is a little more sleek looking, which is understandable. I have also done the "full spectrum" DIY LED fixtures in the past and to be honest I wasn't that thrilled with them. Way too much time and money just to get them to not "look DIY".

Right now I am leaning towards a Radion, primarily due to looks alone, and I should be able to tweak it ro grow zoas and LPS just fine.

Man I hate these decisions... building a new system is the most fun and stressful part of the whole process!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Well the problem with LED's is most people end up just buying the set fixtures from EcoTech or AI etc. Then they can't figure out why they aren't seeing the growth they did previously, as they only have 1 fixture propped above the tank. The only true successful LED tanks I have seen have multiple fixtures spreading across the entire tank covering everything, not just 1 or 2 expected to light not only below them but several inch radius around them. So if you figure the price of multiple LED's the initial cost is more expensive in most cases, in the long run? That's debatable though there are several options such as buying cheap fixtures or DIY that can drop the prices down radically. It's up to you but if you choose T5 be sure you buy ATI or Gieismann Fixtures and bulbs, they really do make a difference.

this isn't true. People have had great success with color and growth using only one fixture. From cheap Chinese box's to the kessil AP700. You can grow coral with a 5000k clf bulb if you really wanted to. What it comes down to is PAR and PUR. T5 definitely hold strong to growth and color as well but saying you need multiple LED fixtures is far from fact but just opinion.