Official Cuttlefish and Corals Grow Out Competition 2015 Entry Thread

I'll post mine up tonight! This stick is turning into a sick piece! It's developed faint red polyps around the top for me(gonna give it more light.) I'll break out the nice camera and try to get some good shots for you. Getting the right white balance is always hard for me though so it won't look perfect ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paratore

I'll post mine up tonight! This stick is turning into a sick piece! It's developed faint red polyps around the top for me(gonna give it more light.) I'll break out the nice camera and try to get some good shots for you. Getting the right white balance is always hard for me though so it won't look perfect ha.

That sounds pretty cool.

Do you know what par you have it under, Cody?

No idea but it's not a lot haha. Here is the info about lights. They are OR t247 hanging maybe 20" above the water. Blues at 60 and whites at 35. Frags are about 4" under the surface. I've been slowly increasing blues the last few weeks and will continue too. Did a lot of reading that people use blue only tanks to increase color. So I'm giving it a shot. Mine may not grow a lot, but I'm shooting for best color lol!

Like I said the red is faint but I can still see it. Fingers crossed that it gets brighter!

Edited by Paratore

Looking good everybody, I'm still at a loss as to why mine melted. 3 other acros in the tank and they look great

It is called SPS :laugh:  They are a crap shoot......they look great one day and the next they are white as a ghost :sad:

I got back from my trip to a tank with some dinos, but all of the coral are doing well. It is encrusting down the side of the plug now, and is starting to lengthen in the branches.

It's got really nice color.

IMG_2135_zpstous5tkk.jpg

IMG_2129_zpsf3qqazme.jpg

what sps is that on the left?

Is it possible something could have stung it? My torch has taken out a few things.

Their was no other coral around it, the only thing I remember doing was turning the frag about half a turn in the spot a had it placed then no PE to speak of then boom skeletor. Oh well it's still fun to watch everybody else's progress and maybe, hopefully one day one of you sps masters will have one large enough to frag

Whoa! That's a long time to be gone from your system. Glad it still looks good!

Lost a flasher wrasse. It jumped out into an empty bucket next to the tank. :(

As for corals, couple frags got half buried in the sand and one of my red goni is not looking happy.

When I got back:

c7ddfad011d21b56d38c246354d13ddf.jpg

After I cleaned the glass:

e379f34e7efa29e39e8717766a6956f4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

its that kessil I'm telling ya there money! ;)

Yes the 360 but not happy with the light. That coral is dead center of the tank on a frag rack 4 inches under water........I have zoas on the side of the tank reaching for light......I can not wait to get things under the ATI.

• 2 weeks later...

How is everyone's doing? Mine is still rockin it but like the rest of you not too much growth vertically. Since this acro came from the ocean not too long ago it may be needing a bit more time to adjust to the tanked life. Or it is very possible that this specimen needs to put down some considerable coverage before making efforts to extend its branches. I hope even after this competition people will chime back in so we can learn its secrets...Cody, what kind of reef juice did you use to get those reds?

Nevertheless the end is near, the competitions was only set for the four months and the time is drawing near...

In a few weeks a victor shall emerge to claim the prize frag pack, nicknaming privileges, and bragging rights...

Who will it be?

• Like 2

Holy cow I can't believe we have had these frags for almost 4 months already! Such small growth in that time lol!

No idea how I'm getting the Reds cuz I'm struggling to keep them on the other acros ha. Maybe this one is stealing their red when I'm not looking..... No detectable nitrates or phosphates and I know that's hurting the other acros but maybe this little guy likes those kinds of levels...

• Like 1