Types of Grow Outs?

Can someone spell out for me the types of "Grow Outs" and how they work?  I have heard of people doing a "Group Buy" and then having a Grow Out competition.  I have heard of an individual with a large colony starting a contest or even to just see what that coral does in certain conditions (lighting, parameters, etc).  I have heard of a group of people doing a Grow Out to raise money for a sponsor.  Can someone describe "Grow Outs"?

Well there are a couple types of grow outs with a few variations to them.

1st Grow Out that I like is the competitions as it allows for more tank science and observation of how the corals do in different environments. 

2nd types of grow outs are when something is too costly or too small to get for one person. This is when one member steps up to keep the coral, Grow Out the coral, then when the time comes chops it up and distributes it.

The variations to these can be numerous but in regards to the sponsor question the general feel is that the colony to be used for the G.O. is purchased from the said sponsor and then the thread, bragging rights, and especially the final distribution of the said coral acts as a sort of advertisement. It really gets the word out there far and wide in my opinion.

I know I am always saying things like, Hey, have you seen my TECO Palys? My TECO Starlords? My C&C rainbow acans? My C&C Midnight Tenius? I want to do Either TPA or Upscales next, although I do have the Upscales Microlades. You get the idea.

All in all the rules are not entirely written in stone, so for instance I will always do growth as it is a solid way of measuring a clear winner. While color , due to lighting, camera, and variation in the human eye it is going to be entirely speculative...Or popularity driven.

• Like 1

The problem with a chalice growout is they are typically much more slow growing. I have done one in the past with just a small group of about 4 with Brad (Reefnjunkie) and also did one with another member on here. If you decide to do a chalice growout I would rec keeping the size very small.

We have done chalice group buys where we buy an entire colony at a discount and then have the shop frag it up which has worked well.

There is one getting ready to start in a week or two,

The Cuttlefish and Corals Tenius Grow Out Contest  http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/35915-cuttlefish-and-coral-acropora-grow-out/

And Tim and Jorge are doing a Color Up Contest that has already started http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/35838-acro-keeper-official/

And I am always on the prowl for more, I got some ideas and am looking into the next one but all in good time.