Another school shooting? Really?

Fragged

Was just talking with my friend Edgar from work about this thread. He is from Oaxaca Mexico about as far south as one can get. He confirmed to me that most of not all of Mexico is updated just like us. He wants to visit his home and take his family, also take his dad a new work truck. But is afraid to drive it down there. His brother about 6 months ago got robbed (at gun point) on his way there. They would have taken everything if his brother wouldn't have hidden money at the bottom of a nocho chip bag. He said they take anything of any value other then the car. He told me flat out its like this because common people can't fight back. Common people down there get walked on by the government and criminals alike.

It's because they do not have effective institutions, like a reliable police department that can't be bribed. They also don't have a reliable and strong military to take on the cartel and enforce rule of law in all parts of the country.

The current state of Mexico has nothing to do with their gun laws and everything to do with OUR drug laws, but that is another discussion.

As an example, take a look at Japan where gun ownership is heavily restricted, but they have an effective police force. It's one of the safest countries in the world. This is the problem with comparing a developing country like Mexico, with inferior institutions, to us. It's apples and oranges or apples and mangoes.

Edited by Lexinverts

Australia has what 21 million residents the USA has like 320 million... Kind of a skewed system when comparing numbers that relates to anything honestly.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

That's why statistics are reported as per capita.

Oh yea and about Harvard, They helped cram the affordable care act down our throats. Then step back and say. Hey man my insurance premiums are too high someone needs to fix this now!

Well I pay almost double what I payed before that crap law. Also every time my renewal comes due it increases even more.

I have a few choice words to say about Harvard but will keep them to myself.

Rant over

• Like 2

I pretty sure citing Wiki is a sure fire way to lose credibility

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSo

if Wiki isn't creditable, just curious who is? I'm just going to assume you didn't read any of the articles. I was pointing out what appears to be the general consensus  of "Third World" compared to the origin of the term. Personally I like to read and learn, so when Dave stated he didn't think Mexico was 3rd, I spent some time reading up on the differences and was quite surprised to see the differences. If you want to say Mexico is a 1st world go for it I couldn't care less what others think, I was just throwing it out there for others who were genuinely curious on the topic.

• Like 1

actually I am the one whom laughed at the idea that Mexico and Brazil are 'third world' countries.... simply because i work in IT with both countries, and talk with residents of both of those countries on a daily basis.  I can tell you, they are messed up countries, with tons of corruption... but certainly up on technology and definitely growing!

not sure.... i certainly would consider mexico and Brazil as 'second world' countries....  simply because of the level of poverty and the conditions that their people are forced to live in.  That is likely why China and Russia would also fall under that category.  Both of which i have seen first hand.

Second or third, they are still "developing" countries, which makes them categorically different from the U.S., Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan according to the UN and most economists.

Edited by Lexinverts

Second or third, they are still "developing" countries, which makes them categorically different from the U.S., Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan according to the UN and most economists.

LOL no one is arguing that!  silly!  :)  at least i am not.  I just was arguing the whole 'third world' reference to Mexico and Brazil.   

you really should stop trying to compare us to Japan however....  Talk about a cultural difference!!!!!   We are far from their level of respect for.... everything!!!

"The term Third World arose during the Cold War to define countries that remained non-aligned with either NATO, or the Communist Bloc. The United States, Western European nations and their allies represented the First World, while the Soviet Union, China, Cuba, and their allies represented the Second World. This terminology provided a way of broadly categorizing the nations of the Earth into three groups based on social, political, cultural and economic divisions."

Some would rather just assume the general consensus is all there is rather than read, I rest my case.

Just seen that there was a mass knife attack killing 29 and injuring 130, In China. We better issue them some fine chrome plated plastic cutlery.

My boss just returned after spending two weeks in China. He showed me some real whacko pictures he took. He also said it don't matter how much our company pays him he won't ever go back.

no doubt!!  Ninja....  Samurai...  they don't play around!  You don't need a gun there....  their craftsmanship with metal is ridiculous!  

Don't forget Sumo wrestlers!  And sumo ninjas!

sumo_ninja_of_doom_by_sumo_ninja.png

and in no way is this disrespect for Japan, guess I should call that out...  it's respect and a funny picture!

• Like 2

The only reason why I fight against gun control is because the government has a really bad habit of as soon as he gets a hold on something it goes all the way in banned it all and all the sudden we are being force to give up all the guns not just the ar/ak rifles. And this is the fear of most of the gun Community

BINGO! It always starts small.

It's because they do not have effective institutions, like a reliable police department that can't be bribed. They also don't have a reliable and strong military to take on the cartel and enforce rule of law in all parts of the country.

The current state of Mexico has nothing to do with their gun laws and everything to do with OUR drug laws, but that is another discussion.

As an example, take a look at Japan where gun ownership is heavily restricted, but they have an effective police force. It's one of the safest countries in the world. This is the problem with comparing a developing country like Mexico, with inferior institutions, to us. It's apples and oranges or apples and mangoes.

I stayed in japan for over a month. You cannot compare the two trust me. We are not them and so your logic does not apply to the US. If you really want to compare just look at Chicago, the place with the strictest gun laws nation wide.....also has the highest murder rate in the us.

I stayed in japan for over a month. You cannot compare the two trust me. We are not them and so your logic does not apply to the US. If you really want to compare just look at Chicago, the place with the strictest gun laws nation wide.....also has the highest murder rate in the us.

Well then how about Australia, all of Western Europe, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, etc....? There are lots of examples of comparable societies in the developed world with sensible gun laws and much lower murder rates than ours. To deny this is simply an exercise in futility.

Japan is often brought into the discussion when the potential influence of video games on gun violence is brought up (as opposed to easy access to guns), since they play more violent video games then us but have a very low murder rate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2012/12/17/ten-country-comparison-suggests-theres-little-or-no-link-between-video-games-and-gun-murders/

Actually, new Orleans has the highest murder rate in the US. But, no matter. Chicago has a huge problem, no doubt about that. Of course, I could use glib logic and say "Imagine how bad a problem Chicago would have if it didn't have restrictions on guns?" This is possible, but the reality is likely that the effectiveness of city-wide restrictions on guns is limited. A city with tough gun laws is an island in a sea of easy guns, so it isn't surprising to me if they are not that effective. You have the same problem when states have gun restrictions, but are surrounded by states with easy gun access. That's why I support a federal system of background checks.

BINGO! It always starts small.

Because street racing cars are illegal to drive on the highway that means that we are well on our way to ALL cars being banned.

http://faze.ca/illegal-street-racing-the-real-world-of-the-fast-the-furious/

This is called the "slippery slope" logical fallacy.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

Edited by Lexinverts

Right. Because Indy Cars are illegal to drive on the highway that means that we are well on our way to ALL cars being banned.

This is called the "slippery slope" logical fallacy.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

To be fair that slippery slope fear comes from anti gunners making comments against AR platform. Earlier in the thread you yourself said you didn't like the AR platform because of its extraordinary killing powers. When in reality an AR is no more special than any other gun they all can be set up for different circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair that slippery slope fear comes from anti gunners making comments against AR platform. Earlier in the thread you yourself said you didn't like the AR platform because of its extraordinary killing powers. When in reality an AR is no more special than any other gun they all can be set up for different circumstances.

The AR platform is powerful and shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger. It's more than you need for hunting or personal protection. I'm no gun expert, so perhaps there are other rifles that are equally dangerous. If so, I don't think they are necessary either.

I think the more realistic approach to making an impact on the gun violence problem is universal background checks, however.

Edited by Lexinverts

On a side note I do give Lexi props for hanging in there and sticking it out. This thread has seems to be 12 against 1.

All of the other sensible people have stayed away from this thread. :D I have gotten some private messages of support, however, from people that are better at recognizing an exercise in futility than I am.

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 2

The AR platform is powerful and shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger. It's not something you need for hunting or personal protection. I'm no gun expert, so perhaps there are other rifles that are equally dangerous. If so, I don't think they are necessary either.

The majority of guns sold now are semi automatic which means the gun will complete one full cycle on its own after you pull the trigger. Giving these guns the ability to fire as quick as a trigger is pulled. However fast doesn't mean good in most cases. As pointed out earlier fast can often create jams that make a gun inoperable in the moment. Also fast and shooting and shooting on target are on two polar opposites of the spectrum. This is why even guns that are full auto often have a a selector for 3 shot burst to help the shooter acquire their target again.

A well trained marksman with a precision rifle will always out shoot someone with a weapon that shoots quick. If you remember back to the DC sniper they caused much more fear and collateral damage.

This video is a great representation of fast is not good. The Glock handgun is one of the easier guns to "bump fire" which helps you fire at near automatic speeds. You'll also see how often it results in a jam.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ffz4Cu4g20