Best, quiet large return pump

Guest Bevo5

Guest Bevo5

Title says it all. Just gathering opinions on return pumps. Looking to move about 2000gph. External or internal. Don't really want to spend a huge fortune unless it's really worth it. Thoughts?

I run a RF Dart also, they are super quiet and just keep on trucking (plus they have great warranties and are rebuildable by RF or yourself with a few tools). If I was going to do internal the DC pumps are basically silent as well. Water blasters are great but get spendy once you get into the higher flow rates.

Guest Bevo5

THanks y'all. Seems like the RF Darts are highly thought of. SOme people complain of noise, but I'm sure - like any piece of equipment - there can be troublesome units. I like the DC pumps but so spendy....

Maybe the dart will work and I can turn it down with a valve or something - I want to max out at like 1500-2000 gph.

I cringe when I hear 'what is the best XXXXX' just because the best depends on a person's situation and what they value.  

Another angle on the question is 'what are some of the good return pumps and why do you like them?'

The reeflo stuff is amazingly reliable.  They run for years and years I have seen on local respected reef tanks.  Never ran one myself but many respected reef keepers including ArsonMfg and BlueZ run them, Stylaster, list goes on and on.

I had three that needed rebuilding when I bought my tank.  Wife's father rebuilt and sold them, great resale value and very repairable.

For an internal pump, the Jebao DC-12000 is a good pump in that range.  There is a newer DCT-12000 also.  They are around 150 or less and are rated to 3000 gph at 0 head (DCT-12000) of course and have a speed controller.  The DCT in my setup has a slight hum, like the whirring of a motor.  Other than that no noise.

I don't believe that the reliability is as good as the reeflos but they certainly meet the 'what is a good return pump' criteria for value and noise levels.  Also, they meet the 'cheap enough to have a spare' criteria, that is nice also.

Well good luck on the research and hopefully that is helps muddy the waters ;)

Guest Bevo5

Ha - yeah, it's basically impossible to get a clear answer on something that's totally subjective and varies from tank to tank, but it's more just hearing what some of the more experienced people are doing. I'm very new so I just mimic whatever seems to work.

I'm very happy with my pan world external pump and recommend them. Very quiet. I tried reeflo smaller pump series (totally different than dart) and had nothing but trouble. The thing I don't like about the big reeflo pumps is that they are not magnetic pumps and rely on a shaft seal. No worries if in a garage or basement maybe, but big trouble if it leaks in your living room.

• Like 1

I'm a Jebao fan... the new DCT line seems rock solid...

Yes, reeflo makes awesome, heavy duty pumps, but The thing that I never see mentioned about reeflo is that they need serious maintenance... new seals every six mo (mfr rec) and new bearings every few years....

• Like 1

Guest Bevo5

I am skeptical of jabeo for some reason. But if people are using them with no problems then I guess it's fine. Are they just knock offs of the red dragon pumps or what? I could buy 4 before I'm at the price of the dragon pumps.

Maybe a 9000 in the sump. Quiet and powerful?

Guest Bevo5

Yeah it's going to be a total of 55 or so inches. Figure I'll try the Jabeo 12000 and see how it goes. If nothing else I'm only out like $175 bucks for a good enough back up.