Hello

Jnesbitt

I wanted to say hi to everyone. I was a mainly a lurker before the site went down for a bit, and decide it was time to do some posting now that is is back up and running. I currently have two tanks up and running at the middle school I teach at. A 30 that took a big hit last year when the heater messed up over winter break last year and got very cold. I am slowly nursing it back. I also just set up a 80 gallon bow front about 2 weeks ago. The kids and teachers are very excited to see its progression over this year, so am I for that matter.

I worked at my local pet/aquarium shop in high school many moons ago, then took a long break from the hobby. I am finding that what was a go to 20 years ago is hard to find now. I went to 4 shops over the weekend trying to find kalkwasser with no luck (if you where to find some let me know).

Jon

Welcome to the forum Jon.

It is a bit like putting humpty dumpty back together but we do have a tank for teacher program that might be right up your ally. We are currently creating some experiments that we can put in different classrooms for the kids to do and if you have time I would love your input on it as a long time reef keeper AND a teacher.

Overall I think the site is a pretty amazing place with some great people around. We'll help you to walk through the advances/changes that have come about over the years. Do you remember those foam faction filters? Everyone uses them now, they call them protein skimmers. Crazy folks like me put vodka in there tank, everyday, but don't do water changes for many many moons at times. There is even a device for your tank that will text you if your salinity drops, or your pump stops working. It's a crazy world these days. Hope you enjoy the dive back in.

I teach out in Battle Ground at Chief Umtuch Middle. I will work on getting some pictures up shortly, I left my Ipad at home today. I started a tank thread for the 80 the other day that has links to a few pics (not the best pics). Thanks for the offer of the corals, I need to do a water change on the 30 but it should be ready for corals shortly, and the 80 the I just started to diatoms this week so it still has a week or two before it will be ready.

The plan for it right now is a mix of soft corals' date=' LPS, and SPS right now. I don't think the lighting (175 watt MH and 2 65 watt PC) I have will support SPS yet but is one of the things I am going to upgrade, but I need to get some circulation pumps for the tank first.[/quote']

I teach out in Battle Ground at Chief Umtuch Middle. I will work on getting some pictures up shortly' date=' I left my Ipad at home today. I started a tank thread for the 80 the other day that has links to a few pics (not the best pics). Thanks for the offer of the corals, I need to do a water change on the 30 but it should be ready for corals shortly, and the 80 the I just started to diatoms this week so it still has a week or two before it will be ready.[/quote']

Sounds like a cool plan. You'd be suprised what a 175w halide can grow. I had 2X over a 90 gal and kept SPS and LPS/softies for quite some time. Is the light a fixture or hood mounted retrofit?

You are welcome to some Yumas, candy canes, zoas, and whatever else I can dig up when your tanks are ready, just shoot me a PM.

I will help with you tanks for teachers in any way I can.

I would basically like to test out a few experiments in classes but maybe get your feedback on the design and practicality of them in a classroom setting. My goal for tank for teachers is to have the kids learn specific things, not just admire the tanks.

I thought the easiest things to start with would be the growing of specific types of algae under different conditions. Two identical tanks with identical equipment but different variables such as photo period, amount of nitrate, and amount of phosphate. There are several combinations that could be done there. They can involve biology and some chemistry.

It can have different levels of difficulty and involvement, and because it is algae, the time period would be quick and the same equipment could be used to do several experiments.

It can be as easy as setting up the tanks on Monday, one with a nitrate 30, one with a nitrate level of 100. Leaving the tanks alone for two weeks to let the algae grow, then coming back in two weeks and seeing what the nitrate is now to see if an elevated nitrate makes algae grow faster. Then weighing the algae to see how much more or less was grown under the different conditions.

It is not very sexy, but I think it could spark a little interest and would be an easy place for teachers with no experience to start. It also requires minimal equipment and expense is very low to create the kits.

I would basically like to test out a few experiments in classes but maybe get your feedback on the design and practicality of them in a classroom setting. My goal for tank for teachers is to have the kids learn specific things, not just admire the tanks.

I thought the easiest things to start with would be the growing of specific types of algae under different conditions. Two identical tanks with identical equipment but different variables such as photo period, amount of nitrate, and amount of phosphate. There are several combinations that could be done there. They can involve biology and some chemistry.

It can have different levels of difficulty and involvement, and because it is algae, the time period would be quick and the same equipment could be used to do several experiments.

It can be as easy as setting up the tanks on Monday, one with a nitrate 30, one with a nitrate level of 100. Leaving the tanks alone for two weeks to let the algae grow, then coming back in two weeks and seeing what the nitrate is now to see if an elevated nitrate makes algae grow faster. Then weighing the algae to see how much more or less was grown under the different conditions.

It is not very sexy, but I think it could spark a little interest and would be an easy place for teachers with no experience to start. It also requires minimal equipment and expense is very low to create the kits.

And if one of the kids pours something bad in there i.e.. Mt.Dew or Gatorade the only thing they are killing is algae lol.

Sounds like an awesome plan and so cool that the club is getting more involved with the educational stuff :)

And if one of the kids pours something bad in there i.e.. Mt.Dew or Gatorade the only thing they are killing is algae lol.

Sounds like an awesome plan and so cool that the club is getting more involved with the educational stuff :)

I don't see why mt dew would be bad i drink it all the time (great stuff). I cant lie I have thought about dosing it to see if the shy fish come out in the open more and swim(clap) plus the sugar in it would be just like dosing vodka all so a proven way to lower nutrients. And Gatorade.... Fish need electorates just like us. It's a lot of work swimming all day!!!!

Just to chime in here, I think another great thing for the tanks for teachers program would be to watch and document the nitrogen cycle. It would teach chemistry and patience and at the same time get them used to watching chemical reactions by using test kits. Show them how to be precise with test tubes and reagents.

I think any of those would be great. The only thing I know I stress in my class is repeated trials so setting things up so that you have three setups or more of each condition (may-be dividing the tanks some how). I don't think all investigations need to be sexy they just have to follow the scientific method.

Just to chime in here' date=' I think another great thing for the tanks for teachers program would be to watch and document the nitrogen cycle. It would teach chemistry and patience and at the same time get them used to watching chemical reactions by using test kits. Show them how to be precise with test tubes and reagents.[/quote']

I like this too! We talk about the nitrogen cycle in my class and the tank would provide a great example that the students could see and interact with. Much better then just using the picture of the cow pooping.