750 Gallon Reef, 1200 Gallon System, Join the Craziness!

oxx155

Hey Everyone!

So this is where I will start to document the complete remodeling of my reef system.

I have purchased a 120"x42"x30" Starphire Glass Tank from Miracles. I wanted to go bigger but the wife wouldn't give me any more room, LOL.

I have also purchased a new sump system that will incorporate a 96"x24"x24" acrylic tank with a 72"x24"x24" acrylic tank. It will have 7-8 compartments that will all perform different functions to provide the best filtration and clarity possible when the water returns to the system.

I have sold all the other tanks I have and will be completely remodeling the room over the next 2 months to address evaporation issues, stand issues (the main tank will weigh around 7,000 pounds), and overall function of the entire system.

I will cover more aspects later and will try to document this tank much more thoroughly than my past tanks. I wish I was better at drawing out my visions so others can see.

I am definitely open to ideas for for aquascaping and the inhabitants that will live in the tank.

And here we go!

• Like 1

Oxx That sounds like a great build you should use my scree name ReefSickness lol, good luck cant wait to see progress.

If you need adv on the electrical pm me, I am an electrican and used to have a Electrial Company.

Reef

Thanks for the offer, but the electrical is already done and in place, I think I may be adding one box in a spot where I need power, but otherwise its already been setup. The biggest change of the room will be the walls and ceiling, its all being covered with the type of material used in shower surrounds, hopefully it will keep most of the moisture from getting into the walls/ceiling and rotting away.

Douglas has put a ton of thought and work into this build so far! It is going to be an epic build and will house some of the most beautiful creatures available! I am excited to see this progress!!!

I appreciate all the time and effort you have already put in helping me out with this. We'll have to put a little "Brought to you by Premium Aquarium" sticker in place, LOL.

Cant wait to see this. If you need help with the stand let me know. I can give advise or custom build you one.

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?26584-Westside-Aquariums-new-tank-stand&highlight=

My contractor already feels pretty confident about the stand he has planned, much beefier than my current stand. I am not sure I would want a metal stand as it could be pretty difficult to take out in the future if I had to.

Photos ? We like Photos

Coming Soon!

I just took all the rock out of the old tank and it filled three 45 Gallon containers, thought I had more but I think thats enough, LOL. Thanks to Clay and his buddy (sorry that your name escapes me at the moment) for the help.

Draining the tanks and removing the sand later this week.

Then I have to completely clean out the room to remodel.

I am beefing up the stand to handle up to 8,000 pounds, putting a plastic surround over all walls and ceiling (kind of like a shower) to keep moisture from leaking into the rest of the house, building a wall to separate the aquarium room from the rest of the utility room (maybe my tools won't rust out so quick), sealing the floor so if an overflow were to happen its contained to that room, installing another air-exchange fan to increase the exchange of fresh air and remove moisture from the room, and installing a new sump system.

Lots of work ahead and I will probably be taking my time to make sure its all done right, especially making sure this time that the Apex is hooked up to EVERYTHING so that hopefully nothing bad can happen without an immediate response.

I am keeping the lighting setup but adjusting it slightly to cover the now 42" wide tank.

Anyway, pics to come soon and I will try to keep up on the updates.

All the sand is now out of the tanks, filling three 30 gallon containers, thanks to Clay and Richard again!

Plans have changed slightly and I may end up getting a slightly bigger tank -120"x48"x30" for 750 Gallons. That would bring the total system up to 1200 Gallons.

Construction is getting pushed back to the end of August and into the first couple of weeks of September, my wife and I have agreed to include a living room remodel in with the aquarium room remodel.

When removing the remaining water and sand we actually found an almost 3" long Pistol Shrimp! Clay tried to catch it by hand and learned a painful lesson.

P8050071.jpg

P8050070.jpg

P8050069.jpg

P8050067.jpg

P7290059.jpg

P7290058.jpg

P8040065.jpg

I plan on utilizing my five 1" Sea-swirls being fed by a Reeflo Hammerhead and six Ecotech MP40's as water movement.

I will be using Avast Marine Media Reactors for Carbon and GFO. Avast Marine also made the Kalk Reactor and Ozone Reactor. I am building a special plumbing setup with water flow meters so that I can sure each reactor gets the correct flow at all times.

As soon as I get the room completely cleared out it will give me a better idea of the equipment I have and what I will end up using on the the new system.

More to come later.

Good progress so far!!

The sump is coming along nicely with the 6' section of the L shape done and the 8' section started :)

YAY! Can't wait to see it. My wife is a little concerned I have lost my marbles, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her, LOL

I think I am going to have a lot of fun with the aqua-scaping this time around.

• 1 month later...

Loving the idea of an L shaped sump.

Garrett showed me pics of the build, the sump is too pretty to hide...show sump?

That's a beast of a pistol shrimp right there. Very cool.

With the lack of mh's are you going to run a chiller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some updated pics. Took about 2 weeks to demolish the living room and fish room and put it back together again. Little snafu with the sumps, but they are being finished next week and put in. The big tank is shipping the end of the month and I should have pics of it being put together this weekend. Once the tanks are in I will start putting equipment back in and will include pics of that and specs on what I am now running.

P8210082-1.jpg

P8210083-1.jpg

P8210084-1.jpg

P8210085-1.jpg

P8220088-1.jpg

P8220089-1.jpg

P8310093-1.jpg

P8310092-1.jpg

P8310095-1.jpg

P8310096-1.jpg

And just thought I would throw a pic of me from my recent trip to Paris, had to wear this t-shirt to the Notre Dame Cathedral (I know I am awful, LOL).

P9090054.jpg