Crazy new PFO light being unvailed

WAVES

I take it each foot of 25 3W LED's is what approximates a 250W MH. So looks like coverage at 24" of depth is 21" if I read the picture correctly.

Will be interesting to hear feedback on these things. Very cool that something cutting edge like this has come out. "Could" change a lot of things for the industry.

Testing long term( six months plus) on tanks with various corals including SPS is the only way to test the effectivness of these units. Am I going to be able to achieve the same colors as I do with Metal halide. I doubt it, But I could be proven wrong. I think they will be good light for LPS and softy type tanks. I know when power compacts came out they were going to replace halides, and when T-5's came out they were going to replace halides, They had the par but didn't produce the results of halides. I don't think you can ever replace the intensity of a halide.

Prove me wrong

Travis

I can't wait to see what Dana and Sanjay say about the LED lighting hoods. From everything I've read, I'm pretty excited about it. Like Andy said, it would cater to the inner-nerd in me to have one. Hopefully they will perform as well as halides, or near as well. It would be nice to be able to utilize a lighting system that doesn't generate so much excess heat as well as pull so much juice. And I have to say, I was impressed with the cost of the units! I thought for sure that they would be priced so high that only elitists could buy them.

I will be keeping a watch on this product and see how they fare with other users!

Stacy

• 1 month later...

The guy I get alot of hardware from down here (also the local PFO dealer) is going to be running one of these already over his tank in about a week I guess. They are BAD A$$. The color is so changable, no more timers, you can simulate seasonal changes.. EVERYTHING. plus, you will pay for the unit in 1 year of power savings they are saying.

the 72" one is 3300 bucks!!! Ouch!

I would need 2 48in units to cover my 8 foot tank. $4650.00

You only need one kidney, right? (scary)

I am going to see how the coral react to the led's before jumping on the bandwagon. If they do perform, I could see myself changing over to them in the future. The savings in the long run would be amazing.

Jay

I opted to wait on the 400 watt equivilent fixture to come out later this year. Hopefully I will also be able to get some feedback on the actual led fixture and see what it can really do. I am optomistic but before I have to fork out some of my vacation fund I want to make sure that this thing will do what it is supposed to.

I wish they would have put the menu looking thing on the end or something. Its such a distraction from the rest of the design of the unit.

Does anyone know anybody that is running one of these? Maybe on RC or something? someone non biased I mean.

LOL Joel, they won't be released till sometime in July, and the ones released in July will be obsolete in September when the "up-graded" version is released.

We've sold 2 sets so far, and both customers have opted to wait for theirs until the September "up-graded" version is released.