Anti-virus programs

jgf86123

What would you guys recommend for anti-virus software? We picked up a new comp and it came with that avira crap, i took it off but need new software.

Also, where is the cheapest place to pick up some RAM, the new comp only came with a gig of ram, which really blows and I want to upgrade that. Also need to upgrade the video card as well, so need some advice on that too.

Thanks

Re: Anti-virus programs

nod32 it is really the only option for reliable antivirus for anything less than a 10 computer network

as for cheapest RAM....ma labs, you are going to need the speed of the ram before you order

video is like this, ati makes the best hardware, nvidea has the best drivers....so it comes down to personal prefference

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

norton slows down computer

macafee sucks

trendmicro sucks

ca antivirus/security is ok

avira sucks

microsfts antivirus is ok depending on your computer skills

everything else sucks

antivirus 2009, 2010, and so on are spyware....oh...and it sucks

Qwest came with free Norton, so for now, thats what we're using.

Here's the stats on the comp, what kind of affordable upgrades would you computer gurus recommend to make it game worthy?

Well, scratch that, I can't copy and paste, but from what I can see looking through the hardware list, there isn't a video card? is this even possible?

Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family

Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.66GHz

Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.66GHz

says it has only 1.00 GB of RAM

and its a 32 bit operating system

has Windows 7, we did NOT buy this, Jess's dad bought it, paid 150 for it yesterday, did include a pretty nice 18" LCD monitor, which is nice, but other than that, it seems to suck pretty bad. So, what can we do to upgrade without breaking the bank, or is it even worth upgrading?

The only way it can have no video card is if it is running onboard graphics but not too many comps do this anymore because the graphics are just too advanced.

I would recommend cracking open the case and taking a look and figure out which motherboard exactly it is that you are running and check the specs on it before you go upgrading anything.

The only way it can have no video card is if it is running onboard graphics but not too many comps do this anymore because the graphics are just too advanced.

I would recommend cracking open the case and taking a look and figure out which motherboard exactly it is that you are running and check the specs on it before you go upgrading anything.

I'll figure it out at some point tonight while Jess is at work and the folks are asleep, dont need her dad coming upstairs and finding me with the comp in pieces on the floor LOL.

Its probably a onboard video card, if your not heavy gaming then its fine.

Go to enuinc.com for good prices on ram. They are located in Portland on 122nd and airportway.

I used NOD32 for a long time, probably the best, but it got really expensive. Im running AVG free now for about a year and have not had any issues.

Norton, mcafee = garbage, get them off your pc, unless you like your pc running like a turd.

Ahhh but thats the thing Josh, heavy gaming is what we're both into, so we need to upgrade it. I'll have to check out the ram issue, it shouldnt be too hard to pop ins ome more ram, tahts all you have to do right? just pop it in?

I'll probably keep the norton for now, it was free with the internet service, so screw it, why not? LOL

Pretty simple really, just figure out what type and size, speed etc of ram you are running and if all goes as planned just put it in. But as I said be sure to check your specs first to see what slots will take what sizes in what order etc.

Also find out if you are running an AGP slot or a PCIEx? and you should be able to find a pretty decent card for your system. Also be sure to check what the new card needs for power and make sure your power supply can handle it.

you could bring it here

Hmmmmmm, got anyone I could load this thing up an take to during the day when we can get it done without jess's folks being aware of it being gone/ LOL

Mick,

What brand/model is it?? You can bring it by my place and I'll take a look at it for you. IMO the best prices/selection have been at Fry's.

I use AVG's free anti virus and seem to have good luck with it. It came under recommendation of an IT friend that manages a 150+ pc network and that is what he uses personally so I am comfortable with it.

I have always been happy with Nvidia graphics cards and there are a lot of them out there for a reasonable price.

Dave

I worked for a company that gave out AVG....we found it was very good for returning customers....especially with gamers and downloaders.

at any rate....good luck.

keep your receipt handy if you pick up any parts from fry's....your going to need it.

I would take Dave up on his offer...I hear he is a good guy.

I run AVG at work and it's good. We just run the AV and link scanner portion if the software. I also run Malwarebytes to catch the spy/malware. The combo of those two and a good, tight firewall policy and strategic email attachment blocking and good spam filtering seems to be a good compromise. Maybe once a month I get a call to cleanup up something the end user infected their workstation with by double clicking on the oh-so-important zip email attachment but with 200+ user I can live with that level of infestation.

I will add that all the tools the home user needs are available for free so don't get suckered into any those popup offers.

One other question for you guys, who could take a computer hard drive thats infested with a nasty virus and pull all the pictures on it off an put em on a disk so we can put em on the new comp? Our old comp has a crap ton of pictures that Jess doesnt want to lose and we'd like to get them back, plus we've got a external hard drive that has some probs as well LOL. Who could handle that kinda stuff? :P