stupid Aptasia

kev311

The opt. word Ive seen is a couple shrimp! just like everything else in the hobby just because its said to be true, dosnt mean all the pep shrimp will eat the aiptasia, Ive goten one and it did nothing, got two more and at least one of them was eating the smaller ones. Got Joes juce for the larger ones.

One of the reasons I believe the peppermint shrimp are hit and miss is because there are 2 species that look almost identical. One generally goes after aiptasia and leaves the corals alone while the other is more likely to go after the coral and not touch the aiptasia. I've personally had both and even with both side by side in the tank it's still hard to tell them apart. When I had the other kind (imposters) they went after my feather dusters but left the aiptasia alone. I took these back to the LFS and explained the reason including details and was told that they were true peppermint shrimp even though the identification matched the imposter. (I did not argue it as he gave me store credit anyway) I.E. Don't assume the LFS even knows how to tell them apart. Here are a few links to more information. I'm quoting a small portion from the last link as it contains the important details to ID them.

Lysmata wurdemanni is the True Peppermint shrimp that eats aiptasia

Quote:

Lysmata rathbunae - rostrum reaching as far as, or beyond, end of antennular peduncle; antennal scale 5 times as long as wide.

Lysmata wurdemanni - rostrum reaching not much, if at all, beyond second article of antennular peduncle; antennal scale less than 4 times as long as wide.

The ''rostrum'' is that sharp horn-looking projection on the top of the head which protrudes out the front like a serrated spear. Lysmata have three sets of antennae, and where the two front pair of antennae join is the end of the ''antennular peduncle''. The ''second article of the antennal peduncle'' is the second joint in that appendage the antennae arise from. The ''antennal scales'' are two flat blade-like projections sticking out the front of the head. They seem use these blades to help steer themselves when swimming.

So, if the end of the rostrum spear sticks out as far as where the front two pair of antennae join together, then it is a Lysmata rathbunae. If the tip of the rostrum does not reach as far forward as the point where the first two pair of antennae join, then it is a Lysmata wurdemanni. The antennal scale lengthwidth ratio is difficult to determine without catching the shrimp and measuring carefully, but the the length of the rostrum relative to the base of the front two pair of antennae is pretty much fool-proof.

Here are the links,

http://fish.suite101.com/article.cfm/peppermint_shrimp_imposters

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/hopkins_redfield.html

http://www.fishlore.com/profile-peppermintshrimp.htm

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/killing-my-aiptasia-26127-2.html

The peppermint shrimp from the caribbean are the ones that eat aptasia. The copperband butterflies pick at them one tentacle at a time. I had a huge aptasia, looked like it was around 3" in diameter. It ate a rabbitfish. Copperband started picking on the tentacles one at a time. She finally ate the thing but it took around two weeks. It looked like it got stung everytime it would take a bite out of it.

2 peps took out all my aiptasia except 2 because those are by the frogspawn my clowns host and they won't let anything except my hand get close. But they did a great job. Anytime i see an aiptasia on a new coral or something, after QT i put it right down by where the peps hide and its always gone the next morning.