ok, lets talk flow....

reefgeek84

Ok, so my new tank is 48Lx24D(front to back)x22high...Pump I am using is a sequence that is rated at 7400gph.. I wil be using an OM 4-way...I will be having a SSB...I am thinking that 7400 is going to be to much flow...should I split the OM by using "Y's" and then double my out put areas, or will that cut down on flow to much? help me out here guys...ask any thing else that might help you or I forgot.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only way IMO that pump is reasonable on a tank that size is if you went barebottom. that 225 i just built with the 8 way only has 5800 or so moving through it and i can barely keep the sand on the ground in it............and my OM drum is cut with 3 ports open

If you go ahead with it with a sandbed just make sure to put threaded unions on both sides of that pump..........itll be easier to throw that barracuda in its place should need be;)

IMO splitting the lines wont affect it as much as you think, DEFINITELY not to the point of not being enough flow, and you really dont want to put a ball valve on that pump

put an ad on reef central to swap, get the right pump and some cash in your pocket

just my $.02

Nah, I really like the way my tank works now for flow, I could always use a little more but I'm gunna say no to the work involved. LOL, If I was you I would do a massive spraybar and the Oceans motion on top of that, that will diversify the flow, hope its an acrylic tank and not glass (you will need the enclosed style top to keep the water from spilling)

If it were me I would probably go bare bottom with that flow, but if you get it plumbed right you can adjust everything. A spraybar settup correctly won't effect the sand much at all. Sounds interesting, I wanna see some WIP pictures! You get those [language filter] lights yet? LOL DOH!

If it were me I would probably go bare bottom with that flow' date=' but if you get it plumbed right you can adjust everything. A spraybar settup correctly won't effect the sand much at all. Sounds interesting, I wanna see some WIP pictures! You get those [language filter] lights yet? LOL DOH![/quote']

No BB for me, I do not like the look of BB..... No I just ordered them on thursday, so it will take a few days to get here...Trust me you will be the first guy to know when I get them.(laugh) (laugh)

Of course I will have work in progress pics...a whole bunch of them.

I originally had a 4 way for my 90....but after plumbing the 225 with spraybars and the 8 way i decided i didnt want to waste two of my 4 ports on spraybars so i upgraded to a 8-way. FWIW, dont say i said so...haha........but Paul at ocenas motions will upgrade you to the 8 way for only the difference in retail cost..........

If you want any spraybar ideas with the om products, i did a bunch of experimental testing to get the spraybar flows to match the other port flows on both of my tanks...........ZERO dead spots is the goal.....

Im not a BB guy, but have you seen the pics of the guys putting in the fake sand floors in the BB tanks? Looks aweful sweet.

Sounds good just give me a ring and we can go over it, I do think the flow is to much for that tank though, not saying it wont work, it probably will, but its more than you need.

If I had the time and money I would trade you pumps, however I would want to go with a OM setup with that pump, and my tank is glass. It will have to wait a few years when I move. I will get a new setup then, just hard to say if I would go bigger or stay at my 155 gallon tank size. I dont want more work, but as times goes by the work required on this system is very minimal. I just know with our next home I want to tank to make you fall over when you walk in the door, in wall with a fish room on the back.

I originally had a 4 way for my 90....but after plumbing the 225 with spraybars i decised i didnt want to wast two of my 4 ports on spraybars so i upgraded to a 8-way. FWIW, dont say i said so...haha........but Paul at ocenas motions will sell upgrade you to the 8 way for only the difference in retail cost..........

If you want any spraybar ideas with the om products, i did a bunch of experimental testing to get the spraybar flows to match the other port flows on both of my tanks...........

I bought the OM used, so the upgrade to 8-way is probably out...I will "Y" eacy port and then make sure I can run all loc-line, it it proves to be to much flow...then I will by the adapter that splits the loc-line as well....We well see....

If you have to run a ball valve the way to do it is to T off the line and run a return to the sump that has the ball valve on it. That way any excess water is being pumped back into the sump and you are not putting back pressure on your pump.

If you have to run a ball valve the way to do it is to T off the line and run a return to the sump that has the ball valve on it. That way any excess water is being pumped back into the sump and you are not putting back pressure on your pump.

I will keep that in mind thank you.

I bought the OM used' date=' so the upgrade to 8-way is probably out...I will "Y" eacy port and then make sure I can run all loc-line, it it proves to be to much flow...then I will by the adapter that splits the loc-line as well....We well see....[/quote']

Dunno about the loc, but I def would split (spray and OM) and regulate the flow. I would want my spraybar on 100% of the time.

Speaking of which, you better have a big [language filter] sump! LOL

Dunno about the loc' date=' but I def would split (spray and OM) and regulate the flow. I would want my spraybar on 100% of the time.[/quote']

why??? the variable flow through the spraybars is INFINITELY more effective at hitting all of the places........they come on and off at variable flow rates from zero to full every 15 seconds. Spraybars are MUCH more effective operating like that. Its the saem concept on why the OM's give such great flow everywhere else........they dont pulse........they vary but never cut your TOTAL tank flow in doing so....... My spraybars aim both under the reef and at the back of the rocks..........

reefgeek, its all good if you dont want to, but FYI you can upgrade to the 8 way for $100. He'll just send you a new body. Its the SAME motor.

With that pump if you can figure out how to keep the sand in one place more or less, you will have the sweetest "everywhere"flow on the planet....

why??? the variable flow through the spraybars is INFINITELY more effective at hitting all of the places........they come on and off at variable flow rates from zero to full every 15 seconds. Spraybars are MUCH more effective operating like that. Its the saem concept on why the OM's give such great flow everywhere else........they dont pulse........they vary but never cut your TOTAL tank flow in doing so....... My spraybars aim both under the reef and at the back of the rocks..........

reefgeek, its all good if you dont want to, but FYI you can upgrade to the 8 way for $100. He'll just send you a new body. Its the SAME motor.

With that pump if you can figure out how to keep the sand in one place more or less, you will have the sweetest "everywhere"flow on the planet....

I might talk to paul and see what kind of set up I should go with, so thanks for that info...also lets hope I can get everything to stay in place...I will have to feed my fish 5 times a day to make sure they have the enegry to swim so much, LOL.