need some opinions here

Bill V.

Okay once i get my FW fish gone i am going to give scratch removal on acrylic a try. I talk with a guy at Envision Acrylics and got some pointers from him and links for the equipment to do it. Has anyone done this before? If so how did it work out? Also i was reading a thread on here about DIY rock, The thread just kind of ended without results of how it went. (scratch) I am thinking about using some of this if it is worth doing.

I personally buffed out the entire inside of a 55 gallon acrylic tank. When I first saw it, I though there was no way...4-5 days later and some real sore arms...it was done and looked great!

I have also made alot of my own rock. 2/3 of the rock in my tank are DIY rock.

Kris

Thanks for the info. I've been reading all i can about the DIY rock and now i have some more to read through.

As far as the re-finishing goes i am going to cheat a bit and get the kit for an orbital sander i was told about. i couldn't imagine doing my tank by hand. I wouldn't have an arm left by the time i was done.

Thanks for the info. I've been reading all i can about the DIY rock and now i have some more to read through.

As far as the re-finishing goes i am going to cheat a bit and get the kit for an orbital sander i was told about. i couldn't imagine doing my tank by hand. I wouldn't have an arm left by the time i was done.

But you can use legs to.(laugh)

I would pm dsoz or undertaker for pointers on DIY rock building. They have some of the nicest rocks I have ever seen. They have some unique pointers. If you can wait, rumors are that they might put on a workshop next month on it.

Got to love Craigslist, 1 guy is taking all my fish in trade for a couple of power heads. now its time to tear the tank down and plan a strategy for new plumbing. I am also going to try a couple different things for scratch removal. i'll take pics and see how it goes.

I would pm dsoz or undertaker for pointers on DIY rock building. They have some of the nicest rocks I have ever seen. They have some unique pointers. If you can wait' date=' rumors are that they might put on a workshop next month on it.[/quote']

I'd be willing, but this is the first that I have heard about it.

I have about 100 lbs of rock that is getting close to being ready enough to be sold. I was just going to do another water change on it using old salt water, then check the pH in a week or so. I have been selling the DIY rock for $2/lb. Before I sell it, I put it in a tank and throw in some damsel fish, zoas, and xenia. If they all live for a few weeks, then I know it is not toxic for a display tank. Let me know if you are interested.

dsoz

I would be willing to buy some off of ya. About how much do you think i would need for a 150 gal. thats 72w x 24 deep x 22 high? i plan on making some myself also. any good pointers?

I had about 100# in a 55g tank. It was crammed full. If it was spread out, it would look better in a 75 or 100g tank. If you want to fill a 6' tank, you would probably need 150#. I would not use all DIY rock. Get at least 1/3 real live rock. Then you get some hitch-hikers, and some "natural" looking rock on the top. It would also help with seeding the coraline algae.

As for advice, don't buy the cement from Home Depot. I made a bunch of rock last summer, and it is finally cured enough to sell. It takes FOREVER. Try to get something that is low alkali. It is rumored that "white portland cement" should work better. If you know a contractor, you can get this from Mason's Supply for $20-25 for a 90# bag.

When I make it, I mix up crushed coral, cement and rocksalt in one bucket, and have a layer of salt/crushed coral/sand in another bucket. The using what we have coined as the "cow pie method" drop a blob of cement mixture in the second bucket. Put more sand/salt/CC around the blob, then drop in another cow pie. Repeat as needed. Dry sand/salt mix put in the middle of a cow pie creates caves or tunnels.

Research that I have been doing lately indicates that leaving the rock out in the air helps the curing process go faster.

dsoz

DSOZ. I for one dont need any base rock as of right now, but in the future I hope to need lots of it. I would love to have a workshop.

I would pitch in a few bucks and maybe if others did the same we could all make a piece or 2 to keep??? If no one has a place to do it we could do it at my store out back on a Sunday, its in West Linn.

Let me know if people are wanting to do this and we will try to purchase everything and get things organized so everything goes smooth. I guess the key is if dsoz wants to do this.

I am willing, but it is more than an afternoon. It is all about making the mix and putting the rock into molds. Then letting it sit for a couple of days without touching it so that the cement sets. Once the cement has set then it is just waiting for one to several months, depending on the cement used, for it to "kure" so the pH drops to a level that is not lethal to our tanks.

I guess that we can set up some rock, then people come back in a few days to a week to pick up their rock.

dsoz

I was thinking of volunteering to host a club meeting this summer (July?) where Dennis (dsoz) and I could show people how to make DIY rock. Will have to check with the hostess ((wife)) about this, but I think it should work out. We have a big back patio where people could work.

My thought was that people would bring their own 5 gal bucket (used as the container for forming), and then pay a few bucks for materials, and could take their full bucket home with them, including a couple of rocks. Is this of interest?

I was thinking of volunteering to host a club meeting this summer (July?) where Dennis (dsoz) and I could show people how to make DIY rock. Will have to check with the hostess ((wife)) about this, but I think it should work out. We have a big back patio where people could work.

My thought was that people would bring their own 5 gal bucket (used as the container for forming), and then pay a few bucks for materials, and could take their full bucket home with them, including a couple of rocks. Is this of interest?

(clap)(clap)(rock2)(icon)(icon)(party)(party)(cheer)(drinking)(drinking):USA:

I will throw in a few extra bucks and bring a few adult beverages for others to imbibe. {I dont drink} That is if hostess approves.

Looks like we need to get some more crushed coral and sand for the class. :)

Or have people bring their own.

dsoz

I was talking with LeRoy Headlee at GARF the other day. He comes out this way every once in awhile to visit this grandkids in Salem. We can talked about planning one of his visits for the same time as a meeting. We can give this a try in July if enough people are interested..

Looks like we need to get some more crushed coral and sand for the class. :)

Or have people bring their own.

dsoz

I was thinking we could just use rock salt for forming and have people pay a bit extra for materials. 1/2 bag of salt per bucket should be enough, and the salt is only $5 per bag or so. Then people will have something to defrost their sidewalk with next winter :P

Having Leroy come would be great. The main reason I was thinking of doing it in July is that the workspace is uncovered outside, so we'd have the least chance of a "rainout". If somebody had a covered area to work in, we might be able to do it sooner.

(rock2) I guess the next step is to figure out how much the materials are going to cost and see how many people are interested in doing it. I'm sure if we get enough people involved it will keep the cost per person to a minimum. Undrtkr's place in Oregon city seems like a good location for a meet, i think. not to far for most people to go. Any ideas out there?

The meeting and project sound great, but keep in mind planning ameeting for months in the future, for a project that takes a considerable time to cure, may push it out of your time fram for this specific reef, unless you are shooting for christmas time you will have to source some home made rocks that are already underway