How often do you do tank changes?

CA2OR

Tank changes or water changes?

If it is tank changing... As little as possible. It is a real pain to switch tanks... :)

If water changes. I try to do 5-10 gal every 1-2 weeks. Sometimes more often, sometimes longer in between. This is for the 75g tank.

dsoz

5 to 10 gallons a week on a 40 gallon system.

And as for Madmikes set up we should all have 500 dollars worth of pumps:eek: It would make things alot easier(laugh) Mike you need to do a little write up on that and let everyone know what you have. Also get some pics of the set up and post them up.

• Like 1

It seems I'm the only one that changes tanks more often than water. Not really though. I change tanks too much. I have made major changes in tanks about once every 3-6 months, but I really want a big tank that I can leave running for a long time.

I do water changes only if I see something looking like it is not happy. I havent' done a water change for about three months and that was only because I setup new tanks and moved. Before that it was several months without water changes as well.

Thank you all for your input. I am trying to find the least stressfull maintanance routine I could perform to avoid causing additional or unnessessary issues with corals and fish. I have noticed that my corals ALWAYS seem to show their displeasure with water changes.

Yes, I use 2 litermeter III pumps, one to pump in from a 160 gallon reservoir (I picked that size because that is about how much a full bucket of salt makes) and one to pump out of the sump and to a sink. I have a garage sump and utility sink so it is pretty easy. Just make up water about every 1&1/2 months and pour a bucket of salt in. I have a latching relay set up with solenoid on my RO/DI unit so I turn it on when my reservoir is empty and it turns itself off when it is full. This tank has by far been the easiest to maintain (over 400gallons in total) out of the many tanks I have had. If I ever get some time I'll post up some pics of the setup that spans 2 floors and a subfloor of my 3 story townhouse.

Your supposed to change the water? (whistle)

I am horrible about it. At the same time I really do not see negative results. I have corals that grow like mad and very happy fish. I have probably honestly changed only 20 gallons in my 80 gallon tank in the last two years.

This reminds me.... maybe it's time for another 5 gallons DOH!

Your supposed to change the water? (whistle)

I am horrible about it. At the same time I really do not see negative results. I have corals that grow like mad and very happy fish. I have probably honestly changed only 20 gallons in my 80 gallon tank in the last two years.

This reminds me.... maybe it's time for another 5 gallons DOH!

Now that sounds like me. Too funny

I have run the gambit on the subject.

A few years back I was doing two 30g water changes a week, the tank was a 65g. I worked by a research institute that had free water, was maybe two minutes out of the way.

When I moved up here I started doing weekly 20g water changes on my 65g. Then I got to the point where the tank had matured, the refugium was kicking, I got my first good protein skimmer, switched foods, increased flow and got the pattern right. Now I do a water change every few months or so.

On my hospital tank I was doing a 5g water change, twice a day. But that was a hospital tank with no biofiltration.

On my seahorse tank I have done three water changes in a year. Two of them were within days of each other. I had a flat worm outbreak and had to repeat the dose of flat worm exit. Other then the need for flatworm exit I wouldn't have changed the water, don't plan on it. Oh, no skimmer, on that one either. Just lots and lots of macro and a very low bioload.

As far as negative effects from water changes, I don't see much of them to be honest. If you temp and pH match the water, and the new water is good, IMO there is not a way to change to much at once. JMO

JME

Okay...I guess I must be honest. I do a 10% change pretty faithfully on Sundays. The honest part....I hate Water changes. I do a small amount because it does upset most everyone...with the exception of the clowns, in the tank.

I would like to cut them down...maybe I will do 10% every two weeks for a while....