Coast Guard Conference Room Tank

USCG CWO

I have to give some background first so please bear with me.

Okay, so for those of you who don't know me I am in the Coast Guard here in Portland, and I'm a Coast Guard Investigating Officer. Basically I conduct maritime accident investgations, and represent the Coast Guard during administrative hearings for acts of mariner misconduct. We had a pretty drab conference/interview room in our office, so we decided to upgrade it to help make life a little better at work. So without further ado:

We painted the walls and added a nice conference table and chairs, installed a 42" Plasma TV, a Onkyo 7.1 surround sound system, a Oppo 1080p upgrading DVD player, and we tied one of our computer workstations into the whole system. Next to come, video conferencing.

Oh and I forgot to mention we built the entertainment stand and we added a 20 gallon tall, 175w MH with Hamilton magnetic ballast (Thanks Andy), and a sump we modified to include a skimmer section, refugium section , and submersible return pump section.

So now that is out of the way, here's the pics. Let me know what you think.

Basic Frame

P1150002-1.jpg

Adding Shelves

P1200009.jpg

Added Backing for top shelving

P1200010.jpg

Stain and polyed

P1220017-1.jpg

Getting there

P2060027.jpg

We have a few more things to take care of, like adding the skin to the middle and lower areas. I''l post more pics as we go. Thanks for looking.

Shane

Here's an update.

We added the rock and water and now everything is running. Latest pics.

P2130045.jpg

P2130046.jpg

Here is what the middle skin will look like. We are trying for an in-the-wall look without actually being in the wall. The opening on the left will be framed and covered and allow for ventilation.

P2130048.jpg

Hey Brandy, I don't have pics, but so far we have added a small clean-up crew, two heads of frogspawn, one head of torch coral, small candy cane coral and a very small yellow watchman goby.

We would like to keep whatever suits our fancy. We just have to be careful of over crowding.

Shane

PS: Don't tell my bosses but the TV is really for Friday movie day.

• 2 weeks later...

Neglected by Shane

What's up everybody. I am a newbie to the forum and to the world of salt water (I had a fresh water setup but I f-ed that up royally a few years back). Feel free to throw your toad comments, I grew up in Mass and it will take more than that to get through my skin! I hope with your knowledgable input I can see the error of my way and I can set up a nice system. I am going to Highjack Shane's post of our conference room reef aquarium right now b/c he is busy with his new 75 gallon build and I feel he has been neglecting our office 20 gallon a bit (thanks Andy). Here are some more pics to see what is going on in the tank to this point.

Tank a little more settled:

P2230156.jpg

Our Shrimp Chubby (when he see's you approach the tank he sways his front claws like he is doing the twist).

P3030210.jpg

Shane's duncans looked like *** when he brought them in, I will have to post an updated pic:

P3030186.jpg

Our Frog Spawn is loving life!!

P2260172.jpg

This mushroom is absolutlely thriving!

P3030196.jpg

Entire Cabinet with the front face boards on

P3030183.jpg

I appreciate you all for taking a look and I look forward to a lot of support when I venture to build my 40g breeder.

Mike

• Like 1

What!!! What's up highjacker!!! Your pics are not showing up, you might have to use photobucket. This thread is yours until the misses gives you permission to begin the build of your 40 gallon.

How are the frags that I gave you guys doing?

dsoz

Dennis our office tank looks amazing. All those corals you gave us are growing by leaps and bounds. It's insane! Even my home system isn't responding like this.

Shane

There's something magic about that 20gal tank -- no lie. It healed every receding, sad, sick coral I put into it. It's like Lourdes for cnidarians. Glad it's still got it's mojo.

Hi Mike, Welcome! Where in Mass are you from? I lived in Nashua NH (just across the border) for several years, and my wife is a NH girl...

Andy, I grew up in Franklin, MA (45 min SW Boston). I love the east coast but I am glad I missed this winter, they are getting killed! One of my good buddies in college is from Rochester, NH.

I apologize everybody for the picture dilema, I am going to correct that issue tomorrow and will add some more pics as well of the mostly finished product.

I think watching a project\build is the best. A real fine job if I say so myself. Be proud of that one

Thank you CCR.

For being two burros:eek: who didn't know what they were doing, we are really happy with it.

A couple of things I learned on this build:

1) I can't measure to save my (censored)!!!! (laugh) Mike is the math whiz and;

2) Do not skimp on the lights and skimmer. They will make or break a tank. IMO

Shane

Well we hit a bit of a snag the other day. For some reason all of a sudden we tripped our GFCI outlet we had all of our equipment plugged into, and when we got into the office everything was off. Shane quickly rearranged the electrical situation to get the necessary stuff on line so we didn't lose anything. Then later in the afternoon we had one of our unit electricians come over so he could install a new outlet so we could plug our AV equipment into a different outlet to reduce the load on the GFCI.

Shane and I had to take off so we left the electrician to do his work. He made the effort to plug in all of our gear, however did not understand the timer setup, etc. He accidentally plugged in our MH light and it was on all night!!!!! When Shane got to the office everything was shrunk up and looked pretty hurting. We left the light off for a few hours before turning it back on to feed and everything seemed to respond OK to that. I hope tomorrow when we go into work that everything survived the ordeal. I will keep you all posted as we progress. In the near future we hope to be adding a clown fish, blue linkia starfish, mandarin dragonet, and a six line wrasse.

This is a 20g, right? If so, you may want to re-think the mandarin dragonet idea, unless you can get one that for sure eats prepared food. Many will only eat copepods, etc, and a tank that small is not really big enough to support an adequate food supply for that fish.

I have a mandarin, and it is my favorite fish - but he has all the copepods in my 110 to himself, so he's fat and happy. They are a great addition if you can guarantee they'll have enough to eat.

We are definitley going to wait a little while until the tank matures before we venture into the mandarin realm, just to see how much pods our refugium will produce, I think we will be alright but we need to wait and see. I think I am going to go pick up our Six Line Wrasse tomorrow and get him in the tank so we have something that swims around.

We did however have another near catastrophe this weekend as our GFCI tripped again and we came into a dark cold tank (63 degrees). Everything looked pretty shoddy. We got everything back on line and let the system heat back up to 78 and most everything seems to be coming back around, we will have to wait and see how everything looks tomorrow. We are also going to replace the [language filter] GFCI outlet too! I will let you know how we make out.