Discolored Yellow Tang w/ Clamped Fins

andy

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on with my Yellow Tang? It's discolored around the rim of the body, along the lateral line and at the caudal peduncle. The discoloration is brownish-red and reminiscent of blood, but isn't patterned like bleeding. Fins are clamped. Fish is eating, but has some slight navigational problems (body angle not quite right in the water, doesn't swim exactly straight -- very slight, wife doesn't notice the difference so maybe it's in my head).

All other fish are fine, corals and inverts too.

Pictures below:

DSC_1830.JPG

DSC_1822.JPG

DSC_1832.JPG

Any ideas appreciated -- this guy is the Grand Old Man of the tank and would be greatly missed. Thanks!

Thanks Siskiou, that's a good link. Also suggest general stress as a possible root cause. Water quality is fine, but I've been making a lot of aquascaping and lighting changes lately. I'll just sit back and cross my fingers for now I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Fred's pretty much back to normal now, just some very slight discoloration. Behavior is normal, too. I guess it was stress. My carefully prepared "ignore the problem and hope it just goes away" treatment protocol seems to have worked. Thanks for the help.

Fred's pretty much back to normal now' date=' just some very slight discoloration. Behavior is normal, too. I guess it was stress.[/quote']

I'm sure Fred was stressed from too much camera flash. You needed to get away from taking pictures of your tank yesterday, and give your fish a break.:D Great presentation at the Albany meeting!(rock2)

Fred's pretty much back to normal now' date=' just some very slight discoloration. Behavior is normal, too. I guess it was stress. My carefully prepared "ignore the problem and hope it just goes away" treatment protocol seems to have worked. Thanks for the help.[/quote']

Nice. I love the treatment method. I have tried that before with mixed results. I ignored my tank for almost 4 months and instead of experiencing loss I got mad growth out of my corals. Tried it again and had exact opposite results. Maybe it was the change from actuall sea water to mixing salt to make water.