60g cube

impur

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the archway in the rock work' date=' your fish are going to love it.[/quote']

Thanks i sure hope so! I didn't really like the rock work after my wife and I got done, but its growing on me. There are a lot of spots to put corals which was a big point for me.

Nice cube Miles and also great to see you finally getting it up and running or it probably never would have happened once the new baby came!

Thanks! Yah i agree probably wouldn't have happened. The floor wouldn't get done either lol so i'm excited to get that finished also.

Here are more pics as promised. Mostly of the aquascaping. Also took a bunch of shots of the corals after they had been in the tank day.

All the dry rock I planned to use laid out. I also used about 15lbs of cured rock that had been in my QT tank a month or so.

DSCN3717.jpg

DSCN3719.jpg

DSCN3718.jpg

DSCN3720.jpg

DSCN3721.jpg

DSCN3723.jpg

DSCN3724.jpg

DSCN3722.jpg

DSCN3728.jpg

DSCN3727.jpg

DSCN3729.jpg

I'm a little concerned about the corals since there was not a lot of cured LR. But i think i'll continue using the water from the 75g to do WCs on this tank for another month or so. I'm also adding 5 capfuls of MB7 per day, though i only have about a week left of the stuff.

I'll post a little more tomorrow with pics of the sump and my ATO i setup.

• 2 weeks later...

12 day mark and all corals are still doing great. I can see some very light diatoms on the tank sides so thats good news. Still 0 readings for NO3 and ammonia (don't have a nitrite kit) so its looking like i won't have a cycle which i'm VERY excited about. I was real worried about that. I'm sure the daily additions of MB7 are helping out a bunch. I am still adding a pinch or so of flake food daily to give stuff something to eat, as well as a little bit of nori for the couple scarlet hermits i have in there who have nothing to eat yet.

I picked up a Potters angel and Cherub angel for the tank, they are currently in a 10gal hospital tank. I will be moving them to a 20L though since the ammonia has spiked in the 10gal after 3 or 4 days. I plan to treat them with cupramine and prazipro before adding them to the cube.

100_3484.jpg

100_3480.jpg

Thanks! I used CaribSea Fiji pink. It doesn't really blow around at all and i've got good flow in there with the MP10 and Koralia evo 1050. There is some whirlpooling under both pumps at the back of the tank, i think thats a product of the dimensions of the tank. It just swirls around though, doesn't get blown anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is doing great, i'm getting growth on my SPS, zoas are budding and putting out new polyps every few days. My lephastrea has just about healed over the area that the emerald crab dined on and all my other LPS are doing really well also. I even have coralline growing on the sides of the tank already!!! Its only been 4 weeks!!

I need to go thru the tank with a slotted spoon and scoop out the hardened top layer of sand (flame) but other than that this tank has been very simple maintenance. Takes me about 10min to do a 7gal WC and I don't even have to shut down the return pump. The filter socks are lasting 2 weeks now instead of 5 or 6 days before needing changing. Skimmer doesn't pull much out, but theres no fish or anything so thats expected. I do toss in a pinch of flake food or some pellets every couple days.

I ordered up some neodymium magnets with a countersunk hole in the center. These i will countersink into the stand, then i plan to use small metal plates on the door panels to hold the sides of the stand to the stand. Should work pretty well as long as the magnets are strong enough. I'll update some more once i get the magnets and snap some more pics this week.

!BwTlK5gEGk~$(KGrHqEOKnQEvyFr)DIMBMIU!!4f7w~~_3.JPG

Picked up some 1/2" plywood and Killz to seal it up for the panels, got the screws for the magnets and some metal plates. I moved over a bunch of corals, fragged my oregon mummy eye, joker favia, demon eye zoas, tubbs blue zoas, and a favites sp. Tank is getting full, but once i can sell the frags it'll have a little more room. I still have all my SPS to move over, my rhizo, a couple zoas, duncans, frogspawn and fish. I think i'm gonna have to sell more just so it fits but oh well.

I also ordered another MP10w ES and a lumenbright mini pendant. That about completes the equipment for this tank!!! (rock2)

Here is another iphone pic

87886b25.jpg

I am still working on the CO2 scrubber. I broke the top to the reactor so i kinda have to start over. I may just order one of the filter housings that the media container fits in since i need to order a couple new float switches though....

This week i get a couple new goodies!! Another Vortech MP10w ES and a lumenbright mini pendant. Now i just need to work out an arm that will attach to the stand and hold the pendant.

What do you call the zoas in the middle pic? the pink ones

Those are gobstoppers i got from one of the zoas group growouts. They are more red than pink, but i think they are a little lighter because of the MH bleaching them a bit. The ones below that are nightmares, the ones with the speckles.

ah kk..the pic looks like what i have, but mine are definitely pink not red. Seems like there are several very similar varueties that get tossed around as AOG, devils armor, pink explosion, etc. btw i would have loved to get a small frag of the joker, but bought too muc stuff lately and the distance is an issue too. beautiful stuff..it will be fun to watch this tank "grow up" :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got my 75gal taken down, installed a second MP10w ES on the 60 cube as well as a lumenbright mini pendant. I also made a CO2 scrubber and got the fish transferred into the cube as well. Whew what a weekend. Snapped a few pics with my iphone

Scrubber in action

be9a186c.jpg

200c8ee4.jpg

56865d44.jpg

13f1be5d.jpg

06f0e3c0.jpg

2bdbb6dc.jpg

210bf6bd.jpg

a1c705cb.jpg

cdce7efa.jpg