red hawk fish in a nano?

theJenchild

If it was a Geometric Pygmy Hawk, it may be ok in a nano. http://www.petsolutions.com/Geometric-Pygmy-HawkPerchlet+I130550L+C16229.aspx

I had one awhile back and it was very peaceful. Nice thing about the Geometric Pygmy "Hawk" is that 2" is as large as it gets! Very well suited for a nano. I would say forget about keeping any regular hawkfish in there!

My hawkfish has grown bigger than my blue tang.... seriously

i cleaned the front of the tank in 18 months and I was shocked...this thing is like the loc ness monster... I could probably feed him a T-Bone Steak...

I didn't realize they get this big but he's awesome and the only fish that likes me.... I think he ate snails for 18 months or redbugs/flatworms.

My hawkfish has grown bigger than my blue tang.... seriously

i cleaned the front of the tank in 18 months and I was shocked...this thing is like the loc ness monster... I could probably feed him a T-Bone Steak...

I didn't realize they get this big but he's awesome and the only fish that likes me.... I think he ate snails for 18 months or redbugs/flatworms.

Wow you cleaned the tank Shawn? I bet that was fun

Hey guys,

I was at the LFS today and noticed a really neat little red hawk fish (about 2"). I was curious what people had to say about them. Would this be a suitable fish for a 16g softie tank? Google is my friend, but I'm looking for some personal experiences if you have them. Thanks guys!

(backtotopic) Do you know what kind of red hawk fish it was? Many species are red. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hawkfish.htm

I check my exhaustive compendium of fish names and the hawkfish I found called "Red Hawkfish" is Neocirrhites armatus. Also sometimes known as the Scarlet Hawkfish. I know it grows to around 3"-4" but thats all of my knowledge on that species of fish.

So I borrowed the picture from WWM, please note it IS NOT mine. Does it look like the fish you saw?

attachment.php?attachmentid=3569&d=1232046628

post-793-141867741868_thumb.jpg

I check my exhaustive compendium of fish names and the hawkfish I found called "Red Hawkfish" is Neocirrhites armatus. Also sometimes known as the Scarlet Hawkfish. I know it grows to around 3"-4" but thats all of my knowledge on that species of fish.

So I borrowed the picture from WWM, please note it IS NOT mine. Does it look like the fish you saw?

attachment.php?attachmentid=3569&d=1232046628

Note: Common names are helpful in identifying organisms, but not always dependable. Neocirrhites armatus may be known as the Red Flame Hawkfish, Scarlet Hawkfish, Brilliant Red Hawkfish, & Flame Hawkfish, but Neocirrhites armatus will always be Neocirrhites armatus, no matter what region or language of the person attempting to identifying the fish. (remember Binomial Nomenclature back in school? http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_nomenclature ) DOH!

I know hawks are nice to look at but make sure you do all the research I have had a few, there beautiful but aggressive, even if there not when you get them they will become aggressive. Just keep this in mind for your other inhabitants. Good luck.

I agree Nyles. As I mentioned earlier the Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish aka "Geometric Flame Hawkfish"

(Plectranthias inermis) http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/206751/product.web is fine in a nano. It is not a true hawkfish, but is related to the Anthias! As far as I know, all true hawkfish are carnivorous and not really suited for nanos.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the input!! I really appreciate it. The fish that i saw was this one http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+34+200&pcatid=200. And I'm not really considering it for the tank that I currently share with my room mate, but more for when I set something bigger up. I was just interested in it because it was so personable and had a very different body shape. I really liked that pygmy hawk though and it may be a candidate for later addition to the current tank. As it is, I have added a lot of livestock in a relatively short time (the tank is mature however) and feel that I may be starting to push the margin of safety as far as bioload goes. Thanks again guys!

I had one of those a few years ago. Yes they have a great personality and are a fun fish to watch. But they will pick at every crab and snail they see. I had mine in a FO sey-up a it was perfect for that. But when I tried to add a couple crabs and snails to clean up a little, he pounced on them like food and tried to turn them over. I pulled the crabs and sanils out.