pacific coast marine mix salt

Reefin'

i just wanted to get a consensus on this salt...has anyone used it?

i bought one of those 50 gal mix bags.

i mixed up a 25 gallon batch.....once mixed there was a ton of buffer at the bottom...a ton!!!! the water heater and powerhead used to mix are covered with this stuff....has anyone else experienced this?

Reynaldo

ive mixed it for a week straight....ive never had residue left in the bottom of my water like this....i had some residue with oceanic, but im talkin about 1/10 of what pacific coast has in it .all mixin it is gonna do is keep this crap suspended in the water....

its the reef grade. im just gonna let it settle. and pump out the clear water ... its already mixed up....might as well use it. back to oceanic it is... just need to add some sodium carbonate(keep ALK levels up) and good to go...just curious what others had to say about the salt...

If you ever get to Albany, I'll exchange it for another brand of similar price.

No matter where you got it. I'd also appreciate some of that residue that won't dissolve.

It is posible the batches are too large for complete mixing.

I did use it for my 280 gallon lowboy.

The extra particulate was gone overnite.

We started right of with over 100 coral and have encountered no problems.

We have also used and sold Oceanic with no problems. The residue often thrown out

was what made it a better grade salt for reefs.

Albany water is now vittually RO, with the new filtering plant.

So pH drop is much quicker than prior.

Rog

All I can say is that I have been using Ocean Pure for about 6 months now. I had a very bad hair algea problem when I started using it. I used Kent previously. I can honestly say that I do not have any hair algea in my tank any more. Other than the salt change, I have started using a calcium reactor and have installed a chiller. I'm not sure which item made the major difference, but I am very sure that I am not going to change a thing. I can't stand hair algea. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (fingers)

Jay

• 2 years later...

Erik,

440 is a pretty decent level. When I mix up my kent salt, it is usually right about 510-520. Most day that a calcium level around 450-500 is a pretty good number. I have used several brands with good luck and only one brand that I feel must have been a bad batch as levels were way off on almost everything. Pacific coast has always been a pretty mid line salt in my experience. I wouldn't hesitate using it on occasion.