Astrea Snail Eating SPS Coral?

shaywood

Last night this coral frag was looking great. This morning most of it's color is gone, except for the top 1/3. Next to the coral is a astrea snail and at the base of the frag is a lot of droppings (like something spent the night at the frag). Is it possible that the snail eat the color off of the frag? I have had this happen to two frags now. All water parameters are great, so I don't think its a bleaching problem.

Shawn

Guest Snorkelwasp

i dont think it would be a snail...usually snails and hermits are confused with the culprit but they are just doin their jobs of janitor and cleanin up the mess

Take a sample of your water to WAVES, and have Joel do a phosphate test (it costs $1). He uses a special machine to detect trace amounts of phosphates.

Maybe some of the other LFSs have a colorimeter to test for phosphates, check around. I know that Joel has one, and he is the one I go to if I want my phosphates tested

I thought that my water quality was OK, but I had two torts do RTN, and sure enough, I had some phosphates in my system.

dsoz