Meh to the last 24 hours.

Guest LisaJill

Guest LisaJill

Mind if I rant a bit?

The last 24 hours have stunk here in reef-world.

Last night I did my nightly flashlight glance into the tank before bed thing and discovered one of my electric blue hermits where a new, expensive frag was meant to be. I looked around and found it under the heaviest rock which is serving as a ledge supporting 4 other big rocks. Plastic tongs failed me, so I ended up re-arranging rockwork til 1am.

Looks better now though!

Today I bought gel and epoxy. Heh.

This morning a full order from reefcleaners arrived, so I was psyched. Got them all into the tank without any major catastrophies.

4 o'clock, take dog for a walk - come home and glance in the hospital tank to see how my firefish was dealing with the full dose of cupramine....

... not so well - he was on the floor of the laundry room. There was eggcrate above the tank too.

So yea; meh. In any case, now both my QT and DT are fallow. 6 more weeks for the DT; no idea if I should just do a 100% water change on the QT or run the stuff to absorb cupramine, or empty it out and bleach it or something. I'd like to get a new fish in there so that when the DT is ready, the fish can go right in.

Oh, ya -and my dog tried to dig out a corner of the yard today; had to drag some heavy concrete pavers over there.

For future reference - is there something with smaller holes than eggcrate that will still allow air to pass through?

Guest LisaJill

Thanks CCR - I'll get some to avoid a reoccurence of this.

Should fish be treated without symptoms? I was under the impression one should observe and treat only in the case of symptoms. I mean, leaving the tank up and running is certainly the easiest option...

Guest LisaJill

One more if I may =) The cupramine does was done in halves - the first half Monday, the second half 48 hours later as per the bottle. I understand that is to acclimate the fish to the copper. Is it ok to put a fish directly into that environment, or should I do a 50% water change and then make up the amount based on test results, a few days after getting a new fish into QT?

I would do the WC, then bring it up to full strength as the directions say. Copper is funny in that it absorbs into things, and the actual concentration is sometimes not what you think it should be based on what you put in. Sometimes it disappears, and sometimes it seems like it is coming out of nowhere.

dsoz

I just picked up a dark blue blenny with a little yellow on the very end of his tail. He is pretty funny to watch. He isn't a bi-color either. He eats algae and mysis so far, and hasn't even looked funny at a coral. Good hardy fish and they have one more down at seahorse too. Just a little bigger then the firefish, and tons more character. He's pocking his head out of a rock at me right now. Just a thought for a good hardy fish to start with.

I would do the WC, then bring it up to full strength as the directions say. Copper is funny in that it absorbs into things, and the actual concentration is sometimes not what you think it should be based on what you put in. Sometimes it disappears, and sometimes it seems like it is coming out of nowhere.

dsoz

Agreed! A W/C will also bring down any Ammonia/nitrite too.

Guest LisaJill

Thanks snowpunk - I don't think I'm quite ready to go forward with a fish right now; and I really have my heart set on a lawnmower. I had one with my first reef and he was just too awesome for words.

I'll get that water change done this weekend/Monday. Thanks all!