what brand of salt are you using?

reefcam

It's been a while since I bought any salt as I typically stock up about 10+ buckets. Now I'm moving my tank and will need more salt. I have been using Ocrean Pure and can't remember off the top of my head, but the salt that came in the blue bucket.

So what salt are you using? And who carries it?

Tanks

Jim

I typically wait for a good deal then jump on a lot of buckets, typically I use Red Sea coral pro, but most the "coral" brands are pretty good. I just prefer to not have to buffer and test my new water, after you do a few WC with coral salts you get an idea what you need to buffer if at all.

Where I buy, depends on what a deal I can find, last time I bought 12-13 buckets and two other locals went in on it. Petsolutions does free shipping on salt now and then, I usually buy when that happens, think it was $38 a bucket with free ship. Sometimes I find it at LFS for $40 its just hard to get them to bring in when I want (something with shipper, never got a real answer).

Salt pricing has gotten stupid. The gas price is finally starting to affect the cost of goods ALOT. I had a $8.00 a bucket increase on Kent salt in the last 2 months. For your usual on-line guys to order from, make absolute sure you find out their deal on shipping. Alot of places do not offer free shipping on things like salt anymore because of the cost increase. As far as what salt to use. I had been using Kent and Oceanic up to this point. But I have recently switched to Reef Crystals to see what happens. I have talked to alot of people that were avid Kent users and switched to Reef Crystals and they had fantastic results. So we will see what happens.

I think most salt have good and bad batches, it pays to test a new batch out when you open it, when I used IO my levels where always low but never the same, it would get frustrating, but that salt is not really mixed and intended for use in coral tanks, that's what RC is for. I have used kent's "coral" salt (for get name of it)?? and that salt worked well too with good levels, used some cheap ones and always regretted it due to having to buffer levels for good results. Ask your LFS too, they seem to get decent deals if you pre pay in the order size your talking about, little more flexability than 1-2 buckets. I will say that shipping salt through a place like petsolutions can be fustraiting, last shipment I think 4 buckets came in totaly trashed, they simply shipped me 4 more and took care of me, but UPS really did a number on the buckets it would have been fun to see how they handled them because they where cracked from top to bottom, one was completly split open and reboxed, when I came home there was a box with salt seeping from its cracks. LOL. Gotta love it.

Hey Nyles. I don't think it's just UPS that damages them. Even my suppliers that truck it to me from their wherehouses damage them pretty bad at times. I don't understand how they do it. But I always get buckets in that it looks like they dropped something very heavy on it. It usually isn't a big deal. But sometimes the really do a doozy on them. And as far as hooking up someone on salt on a prepay. I know myself I would be more than willing to do that for someone on here (naughty)

Jason

I've tried a bunch of different high end salts lately, and now I'm back with Seachem. Although, D-D H2ocean was really good stuff, tested great. I liked Reefer's Best as well, but I don't have easy access to it anymore. I hate paying shipping on salt. It's way too expensive these days.

To give you all an understanding on the freight increases, I have been shipping 2 pallets of salt consistently to a guy in Colorado once a month. Freight bill used to be around 380-400 depending on carrier. Now, the cheap carriers are 750 minimum, fedex ltl costs around 825. It's making it impossible to do!

If you have the ability to pick your stuff up locally, do it now, do it fast. Most stores that have a large stock may not have had to really see these increases yet. Once they do, so will you!

Sam

Hey Jon, Ryan.... I'm currently in the process of tearing down my big tank. I re-setup the prop tanks in the garage again and hopefully when I get home, they will be ready... water have been running through the system. Now I need more salt and rocks when I rebuild the system. Being that I am still using Oceanic and Ocean Pure, wanted to see what other reefers are using. Salt price is just crazy.

Nyles, I hear you on the UPS and buckets being busted. I think what happens is the buckets are accidentally dropped from their conveyor system at the sorting warehouse. I would be perfect if the buckets left the original warehouse to the plane and to your house. But everything is unloaded from the start to their sorting facility before it gets loaded on another plane to you. Sucks, but glad Petsolutions took care of you.

I have kalk reactor, calcium reactor, etc. so not worried about paying for other additives that I can add myself. Just good salt to start. :)

I like the Oceanic bucket cause the lid is the best. :) Easy to open and when it's empty will hold water tightly.

So anyone still using Ocean Pure around here?

Hey Thanks Mike. Glad to see a lot of good'ol reefer is still around.

wow... must have missed the bad batch syndrome. Are you still using Ocean Pure? Maybe I'll just need to visit the good ol' LFS and see what each one is selling.

No I switched over to Kent when I was working for Ryan since he carried it. But with the 240 up and running I'll have to think about a new salt maybe......... Have to see what I can find in quanity since I'll be needing a lot more then just a bucket every month or two.

Let me know what deals are you finding on the salt. I like to stock up so I don't have to keep buying, but you can typically get a good deal when buying in bulk.

Don't forget to take pictures are you migrate to your new tank. I always like seeing the progression of a tank from putting the tank together to a fully stock tank.