Give me some ideas/options

Michael7979

I would only use it if it does not stink. The sand at the bottom of the bucket may have gone anaerobic and become really nasty from hydrogen sulfide.

Try rinsing it with fresh water and see how it looks/smells from the bottom of the bucket. If it has gone bad, let me know. It could be used for DIY rock, and I may buy some of it off of you.

dsoz

• Like 1

Have not really done this before but did re-use sand 10 years ago when I was into it and learned the hard way not to. Now I know better.

Maybe you can wash it really good and dry it in the sun on some plastic or something. Not sure if once it is used if it becomes bad or ? Seems to me there has to be something you can do to make it good again(scratch)

I've read that bleaching or just washing well and then drying it in the sun should make the sand usable again.

But then, you always hear dire warnings to not risk it and start with all fresh sand. Though IMO, the "fresh" sand comes from the ocean where it has gone through all sorts of stages, too...

I've read that bleaching or just washing well and then drying it in the sun should make the sand usable again.

But then, you always hear dire warnings to not risk it and start with all fresh sand. Though IMO, the "fresh" sand comes from the ocean where it has gone through all sorts of stages, too...

Hmmm....that is a smart response. Let me know what you decide with this Mike...I am going to sift through my tiny bit of sand to find the snails...but I will leave the rest behind.

Kris

Just keep the cats off while drying the sand! :D

That would not be possible in my area. The crazy cat lady across the street from me once had 40+ cats before the county came and took all but one away.

Then what did the little girl's boyfriend gave her for her B-day? a FEMALE cat!!!! Now it has had two litters of kittens (all still around), and NONE OF THEM ARE FIXED!!!!!!!

People like that irritate me. It is just irresponsible. (I wonder if there is another IR word that I can use... How about how irked I am at the whole thing... LOL at myself)

sorry for the thread-jack.

Do you think that baking it in an oven may have the same result? It would take a lot of small batches to cook all the sand from a large tank.

As for cycling in a garbage can, the bottom would still be anaerobic. Unless you set up the garbage can on top of a rubbermaid bin and have a pump push water to the top, and have holes in the bottom to let the water out... Kinda like a large trickle filter or a "sand filter". It would still probably get anaerobic at the bottom, and the water would probably just channel through the sand... Forget I said anything about the trickle filter thing.

dsoz

Do you think that baking it in an oven may have the same result? It would take a lot of small batches to cook all the sand from a large tank.

If it's a larger amount of sand, I wouldn't go that way. Uses way too much electricity, imo, and the sun does a better job at sterilizing.

A kiddie pool with some window screen to keep the critters out would work.