New to Oregon, and returning to hobby after a decade.

Guest LisaJill

Guest LisaJill

Hey all! I found this forum from Reefcentral - glad to have found it as it's nice to be part of what seems like a great community.

I moved to Oregon a bit over a year ago, and in March purchased my dream-home. I had been out of the hobby for about 10 years and desperately missed my reef but didn't want to invest in one while I was moving every few years (I hate moving; never mind adding the pain of moving a reef).

So, after 2 months of settling in, I finally got a 65 gallon and it's running beautifully now. Unfortunately I had what I think was an ich outbreak and lost all but one fish; that fish is now in a hospital tank while the DT remains fallow. But it has a bunch of corals, an RBTA, and a rather meager CUC. Even so, I spend hours watching the DT, it's amazing.

Anyhow - I'm just out in Hillsboro and wanted to introduce myself. You can find a ton of pictures of the reef on my flickr. The newest ones are at the bottom. =)

Welcome! Glad you found something on RC. I couldn't navigate there because it is so massive.

You're right, a lot of good people here. I hope you can make it to some meetings. :)

Why did you move around every couple of years? I am glad that you are settled now, and get an awesome tank.

dsoz

Guest LisaJill

Hey all, thanks for the warm welcome!

I just found this via Reefcental after searching the announcements forum for "Oregon" - I think a frag exchange came up with a link to pnwmas. =)

Yes, I'm running 2x 250 15k MH. I also have two LED lunar lights mounted under the hood for evening viewing.

The rose is stunning and is a fairly new addition that I got from Seahorse. Stunning anenome; I was really concerned about getting one. Last time I was in the hobby, anenomes were considered "advanced" and very hard to keep, with the concern that they were being endangered and over-harvested for an industry that couldn't keep them alive. How things have changed!

I'd love to make it to some meetings; that's part of why I joined up. I'm pretty shy though, so intent and reality may differ some. ;)

As far as moving - back a long time ago I moved to Australia for 6 years and then ended up coming home and returning to school. After that I moved out to Oregon, so there were only about 4 moves, but I also knew that my accommodations were very temporary. I went to school in Massachusetts and knew I was not going to live there - loved the town I was in (Northampton) but hate, hate, hated the weather. Too many blizzards!

So I came out here to rent for a year; fell in love, found my house, and now here I am. =)

Hi LisaJill,

Welcome to Oregon and the PNWMAS Forum, and welcome back to the hobby!:)

If you would like to receive notifications of upcoming PNWMAS Meetings and Events, send me a PM along with your e-mail address, and you will be added to the PNWMAS Evite list!

Guest LisaJill

Yea, I made a newbie mistake and ended up with ich in the tank. Right now it's fallow for approximately the next 7 weeks. Have a purple firefish in QT. Once he's back in the tank, I hope to get two of Rod's onyx babies if there are any still available. =)

The store I used to frequent in Aus quarantined all their fish for 8 weeks, treating as necessary; so I've never had to quarantine before. At least I learned the lesson fast, eh? =)

Still don't think this firefish has ich, he's never shown a single sign of it, but I lost some fish and I'm pretty sure that it was ich that did it. Anyway; better safe now.

Definitely needs some clowns. That anenome is doing brilliantly, the thing is huge, heh. Happened to choose a really great spot at the back of the tank where it leaves the rest of the tank for corals. The only problem is that I can't see its mouth; so it can be hard to judge how well its doing. Obviously it has some great color, opens up well, is eating extremely well - but I'd like to be able to get just a quick glimpse of its mouth. =)

Welcome! I made the move from New England to OR last year also. Whenever I start to complain about 10 straight days of rain I just think "it beats the heck out of 20 straight days of below freezing temps!" :p

Thats a really nice rose...I wanted one myself at first, but with just 29g of space I'll save it for the next tank. Sorry bout the ick...its a bummer to have to wait for more fish:(

Guest LisaJill

it beats the heck out of 20 straight days of below freezing temps!

Blizzards, that is what I was running away from. I can deal with the temperature - but 3+ feet of snow? Give me a break. Here in Oregon I can travel to snow in an hour if I really want to.

And nah, actually I'm kind of psyched about being forced to slow down. I love watching the tank fishless for some reason. I just got the Cupramine today. The firefish *still* has no darn symptoms, but treated he is being. He has to be at least harboring something.

And yea, I love the rose. It has more personality than some of the people I know.... ;)

Ich

I got ich once from a fish I bought when I did have any QT tank setup. He was at the store in the same tank for 5-6 weeks with no signs or symptoms of anything so I figured I was safe......... WRONG! I only lost him and one other fish luckily. I used a product call Kick Ich by a company called Ruby Reef. It seemed to clear up the ich within a couple of days. It is totally reef safe I believe and I treated with my anemones and all and did not notice a change in their condition at all. Its worth a shot on you tank so you will not have to wait a full 7 weeks, I think the treatment is only 3 weeks or something. It been a while..... Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your tank!:D

• Like 1

Guest LisaJill

Thanks for the advice! I've read about that and from what I have understood, it clearing up in a few days is rather a coincidence of the parasite's life cycle. At this point the tank is fallow anyway (and I kind of am enjoying it like that for some reason); and the firefish is in hospital being treated with Cupramine which will be 14 days, then 4 weeks to make sure he's clear. So not like I have much to add to the tank anyway!