New Member Vancouver, WA

USCG CWO

Hello,

I'm a long time lurker among many cites since I started this hobby and finally thought I join a few. I am very new to saltwater, but have been maintaining freshwater aqauriums on and off for years. Finally decided it was time to give it a try. My name is Shane and I am in the Coast Guard and stationed in Portland. I am married and have two beautiful daugthers.

Anyway, tank is 55 gal. glass, megaflow #1 sump (hard piped to the Esopps PF#300 Overflow with Stockman stanpipe) My overflow was gurgling so loud and after MUCH researching the Stockman and hard piping were the only things that helped, a Coralife Super skimmer, a Rio 2100return pump, and for circulation an aquaclear 70 (which will be replaced soon with two hydor koralia's a #2/#3). It has been running for three weeks with nothing but 40lbs of base aragonite.

I wanted to make sure I could maintain the PARMS before I added anything living. On the 15th of August I removed some of my base substrate and mixed it in with 30lbs of live sad and 30 lbs of live rock. I have finally begun something I have always wanted to do and just never had a chance. I am ghost feeding it to speed up the cycle time, but still won't put in a CUC for another three weeks or so.(highfive)

I just wanted to say hello and I'm looking forward to learning and who know's maybe passing on some knowledge as I go. (waving)

If any of you live close to the Hazel Dell area I'd love to get together and chat. I live over by Columbia River High.

Welcome aboard(clap) There are a few people out that way that are on the board. I am east over by Evergreen Hi School. There is a CC meet and great coming up this thursday evening. Also when the tank gets going give me a shout and can help you out with a few zoos and GSP as mine grows like a weedDOH!

Welcome to the forum Shane!

There will be a Meet and Greet in your area soon. http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8242&page=6 Sounds like the start of a nice setup! Keep us posted with some pics!

You and your family are welcome to attend our PNWMAS BBQ on the 31st in Tigard. If you would like to receive notifications of PNWMAS meetings and events, send me your e-mail address in a PM, and I will and you to the Evite list.

WELCOME NEW TOAD!!!! AND FAMILY:)

"I am ghost feeding it to speed up the cycle time" I think that's great. Just don't push it to hard. If there is one thing we have all learned, and trying to (well most of us) is Patience. I still loose mine. Pic's as soon as you can. Now would be excellent.

Thanks All

Thank you everyone for the invites. I will try and make it to this Thursdays Meet and Great. I am on duty but should be able to shoot down there for a few minutes. I am attaching pictures, just know I don't have my lights yet and I do not have all the rock I need. This makes the second day with live rock and ghost feeding. PARAMS are as follows:

Nitrates: 0

Ammonia: .25

Nitrite: 0

PH: 8.2

Calcium: 380ppm

KH: 143.2

Salinity: 1.023

Temp: 80

Phosphates: .5

Not sure why my ALK and Calcium dropped. I was at KH: 169.1 and Calcium: 420ppm. I added Kent superbuffer-dkh and Liquid Calcium. So hopefully it will come back up. The water I get from WINCO is pretty neutral and requires a lot of buffering before I add it to the tank, and I did have to do a top off this morning. My wife doesn't know this yet but I'm already wanting a bigger tank and I haven't even really started yet. So here's my tank, tell me what I need to do differently.

post-3171-141867740075_thumb.jpg

post-3171-141867740078_thumb.jpg

post-3171-14186774008_thumb.jpg

Welcome, I wouldn't worry to much about the Calcuim right now, it's not going to mean much till

you get some hard coral's in there. Might want to get a TDS meter and check the water from winco.

That will tell you how good it is. Hope everything work's out great.

Jon

Don't worry about a lot of ghost feedings. With the stuff on the live rock, it should cycle the tank just fine. When you think that the cycle is near an end, do a couple feedings and watch the ammonia, nitrtites, and nitrates for the next couple of days. If there is no increase in any of them, then the cycle is done.

Now if the cycle is done, and you add more fresh rock, then you need to wait all over again. It is best (if you can afford it) to add all the rock you need at one time. That way it all cycles together, and it is all ready at one time.

In my opinion, If you want to do something significant to speed up the cycle, add some chaeto (macroalgae). It will add a lot of bacteria action to the tank, and it will absorb excess nutrients from the water. It does not need significant light to grow, and it is useful later in a refugium. If you need some chaeto, just give me a PM, I can hook you up for free. I have a gallon size bag full of it that I was about to toss out.

dsoz