New to the Hobby and wanted to say HI

mltnguyen

Good day all,

My name is Mike and I live in Hillsboro Oregon. I am fairly new to this hobby as my first tank went up in Oct. of 07. The tank was meant for my wife however the extent of her involvement has been.... Move that there I want this and I want that and the tank needs to be cleaned and so on. Since then we have both become certified deep water divers as the love of the ocean has gotten stronger since the setup of our tank.

I also wanted to say thanks to all the members of PNWMAS. I have learned a great deal about this hobby and I’m sure I will just continue to learn as the years go on. Thanks again and I look forward to picking your brains and hopefully meeting some of you in the near future.

Mike

Welcome To Our Club

Thank you Mike for making us a part of your hobby.

I would like to envite you to our upcoming event, Bob Fenner will be speaking at our June 22nd Meeting at JJ North's Grand Buffet. (clap)

Check out front page for complete info, hope to see you there. :D

Thanks

Kevin (rock2) (laugh)

Thanks for the Welcome

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend, as I will be in Hawaii diving. I will however be making it a priority to start attending these functions. They sound most interesting and any information is good information.

Thanks again,

Mike

Tank Pic's

Per some requests I am posting some pictures of my current tank.

Some details:

The Tank is a acrylic 65 Gallon

I am running 2 T5s 1-6500K and 1-10k

Built in overflow

18G Wet/Dry Sump (next tank will have a refug)

ASM G1 Skimmer (not convinced that this is a quality skimmer)

Rio 2500 return pump

1- Koralia 4 and 1 Koralia 3 power head

If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

post-3125-141867739087_thumb.jpg

post-3125-141867739089_thumb.jpg

post-3125-14186773909_thumb.jpg

post-3125-141867739092_thumb.jpg

post-3125-141867739094_thumb.jpg

Anemone lighting

Well I hope so. This was one of the first things I put in the tank It since has split and now i have two. The are both about 8" in diam. when fully open. This one just moved recently to this spot however during the day it will fill the whole cave and the rim of the anemone will be attached to the outside. It seems to being doing good and i have been feeding it a silver side about ever 2 to 3 days. Not sure if I'm over feeding however they both eat very will.

As for the lighting I have a coral life that has moon lights and a 10k and an actinic however it does not fit in my hood. we bought this light when we first started from a lfs however after a couple of months she wanted to put the hood on and I upgraded the lights yet again. I would also like to mention I made a mistake on my lighting list above. I currently have a 10k and an actinic in the hood both T5. I know I should have more lighting however this is my wife's tank and she likes the color of the light and does not want to spend anymore money on lighting as we are already in it over 500 with both lighting configurations we have. This is just another reason I am working on her to create my own tank.

My dreams (and right not due to money only dreams)

90 to 155 Gal Tank (Acrylic or Starfire (front) but at this point a good old glass will work as well.)

MH (not sure wattage as it will be based on the size of tank) with T5 Actinic highlights

Refug

Closed loop (looking at Ocean Motions SS Squirt. But due to budget i might run a couple of SCWDs)

All pumps external

and of course a chiller due to the MHs

at this point just a dream but i am going to work on getting one thing at a time and I figure i can accomplish this goals in about 2 to 3 years. DOH!DOH!

Hi, welcome to the club! Another V =)

Things look like they are doing great with your first tank. That's a nice favia, let me know if you ever frag it out. I wouldn't mind buying a piece.

Hawaii for diving? Which island?

Getting ready for Hawaii

I will be leaving for Hawaii Thursday morning. I can’t wait to finally dive in warm water. I am new to diving as well as I only have about 20 dives under my belt with 2 of them being night dives. I did however buy an underwater housing for my digital camera so I am hoping I can capture some wonderful fish and coral. I will post some pictures upon my return if people are interested.

Mike