lighting for nano tank

markdadof2

Hey all!

I am wondering what you guys think would be a good choice in Halide lighting for my appx 15 gallon nano tank (16" wide). I currently have the JBJ nano PC lighting over it and would like to upgrade so I can eventually grow the hard corals and maybe a small clam.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I was thinking the vipor light - clip on 150w. Are there any 'combo' halide lights with PC's that are out there that may fit?

Thanks in advance

-Mark

viper is ok. look into the 70 or 150w Sunpod. I believe they are 16" long and come with 6 blue and 6 white moonlights.

That sounds like your best option to me. IME with a 150w HQI on a 20g long tank, it was to much lighting so maybe the 70w would be better. Depends on how deep the tank is. I upgraded tanks to a 29g and am now much happier with my light.

JMO.

The 150w Sunpod may be a bit much for a 15g, but...

You know you are planning the next tank upgrade... Once the 15g gets full, then you will "need" a 20g, or a 29g, or a 40b (breeder)....

So the 150w would fit perfectly over the larger tank :) Always think about the upgrade that you are going to make next, and plan accordingly so you don't get stuck with a bunch of junk equipment that you need to sell. :)

You should search on nano-reef.com to see what people have done with lighting over your size tank. If you have not been there, it has a lot of good ideas for small tanks. Some of the ideas also work for larger tanks too.

dsoz

For the tank you currently have, a 150 is overkill. You will run into heat/evaporation issues, but this can easily be fixed by frequent top offs and fan cooling.... But, as we all know, you will more than likely be upgrading in the next 4-6 months to something a bit bigger anyway. The 150W would be great for something along the lines of 25-40G tanks.

For a 16" wide 15 Gallon tank you currently have, a 70W clip on would be great. Keep in mind also that selling a 70W clip-on would be pretty easy....

I kind of like the idea of the 150w because I do plan on 'upsizing' my tank in the future.

I am thinking of getting the sunpod 150w unit...like this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13975&cmpid=03csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0022897000000

I would like to find it locally for a price NEAR that...any thoughts?

I don't know if anyone sells these locally or what there prices are but I think going with the 150W is a good choice. Buld choices at 70w are extremely limited and most are pretty expensive. If its too bright or hot you can always use a hanging kit and raise the fixture up.

I know CRPC in salem has one...cant remember how much, but that sound about right for the 150w. And I think I saw one at Upscales last time I was in there.

I would definateley go for the 150w over the 70w. If you have heat issues you can add fans or raise the fixture. In my experience, Its always better to go overkill on equipment for future upgrades(naughty)