Carnivorous Yellow Tang?

andy

This morning was my tank's once-a-week all-you-can-eat Mysis buffet. Each head on my Torch and Hammer gets a squirt, and Scooter the Blenny clears up the left-overs. YellowFred, the Yellow Tang (one kid wanted to name him 'Yellow' and the other 'Fred' so....) hid in the rock like he usually does when anything even remotely scary is happening within 25 feet of the tank (scary)

As soon as the corals seemed finished, I turned the circulation back on and a few remaining leftovers were swirled up into the water column -- no problem, a weekly treat for the Hermits. Once Fred got a glimps of the Mysis, he was out of the rockwork in a hot second... chowing down on the smaller bits of shrimp. He couldn't manage the larger/whole ones, but anything smaller than half was scarfed.

I was really surprised. I thought that Yellow Tangs were herbivores. Do they normally like a protein snack, or is Fred a heretic? Maybe it is time to toss some Nori into the tank? He's been cleaning the GHA off the live rock for the past couple of days and while it is getting kind'a sparse, there's still a meal or two there for him. Maybe he's just a vegetarian when there are other vegetarians there watching (laugh)

Guest Ahbrit

i fed my tang daily on mysis

i fed my tang daily on nori

i fed my tang daily on cyclopeze

i fed my tank daily on defrosted frozen shrimp

if you follow my feeding regime, get yourself a large skimmer

My Tang was a Sailfin. It refused to eat algae of the rocks....i guess it tasted bad

We got one of the tiny Blue Tangs from Cichlids and Salt a few months ago and I just noticed it chasing our big female Pink Skunk Clown out of the way to pick some mysis out of our BTA, seems a bad way to get a snack, that Skunk could beat the heck out of her.

• 3 years later...