Pacific Imports PS-300P pump dead

Madd Hatter

Well in that case I will agree it is dead. Not sure where you are located. You can contact a local fish shop and they can get you a replacement pump (preferably one of our sponsors)that will be the right one. Pacific coast Imports are located in Woodburn so they(the LFS) can get it quick. They are wholesale only.(PCI)

I also need the same pump for my NW-200 skimmer but would like to use something different than the octopus OTP-3000 that came with the skimmer. Does anyone have any suggestions on a better replacement pump that is readily available? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I talked with the guys at PCI and the PS-300p is no longer something they carry... therefore I need to look into a replacement pump..they suggested something like the GX-2400 or similar. So I am looking at what would be a great pump prefebly with a needle wheel as a replacement..does anyone have any suggestions?

I keep reading ppl saying the sedras are crap. I've never used one so i don't know. I was researching skimmer pumps and that was a pretty constant assessment. The pumps that got the best reviews were scci and laguna pumps.

That's the biggest problem when researching equipment.

Too many people "read" things on the internet, without having used, or even seen said equipment in person. All while replying that they must not be very good.

Bio balls for example. How many times have we read that bio balls are a no-no? I have seen plenty of reef systems that use a wet/dry with bio balls. 1 comes to mind that will blow away 75% of the tank of the month systems.

Well, i "read" reviews from ppl who have the pump. I didn't say they were crap, i even stated that i don't know since i don't have one, and i wasn't giving the pump a positive or negative, just relaying what i've "read". As usual, take it for what its worth.

Many things in this hobby can be considered no-nos. Once in awhile a no-no works for someone. That doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

Well, i "read" reviews from ppl who have the pump. I didn't say they were crap, i even stated that i don't know since i don't have one, and i wasn't giving the pump a positive or negative, just relaying what i've "read". As usual, take it for what its worth.

Many things in this hobby can be considered no-nos. Once in awhile a no-no works for someone. That doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

That wasn't directed at you Miles. It was more directed at the original poster having a hard time figuring out which equipment to choose.

How many posts do you see where someone goes around touting the latest and greatest piece of equipment, without having owned anything else, or even owning the equipment that they recommend?

Once in awhile you find a post where someone has used equipment X and equipment Y and they will give a comparison between the 2. Sadly these posts get buried by "equipment X is crap, or so I've read".

That wasn't directed at you Miles. It was more directed at the original poster having a hard time figuring out which equipment to choose.

How many posts do you see where someone goes around touting the latest and greatest piece of equipment, without having owned anything else, or even owning the equipment that they recommend?

Once in awhile you find a post where someone has used equipment X and equipment Y and they will give a comparison between the 2. Sadly these posts get buried by "equipment X is crap, or so I've read".

Gotcha no worrys ;) I get what you are saying.

Its always wise to read as much as you can about this stuff IMO. Thats why i've been reading about the skimmer pumps for a solid 2 months straight and still have not purchased one. You do get the ppl who say "My friend has that pump its the best of the best" but they have never actually used it. So its tough to weed out the actual honest reviews.

I've been running a 3500 as my return pump since July '06. No problems so far. I would love to replace my OTP needle wheel with an Eheim needle wheel but don't want to spend that much. The problem with trying to find a good replacement needle wheel pump is finding actual flow rates and air draw to compare the different pumps.

Mine's a 2700 (NW version of the 2500) that has been mesh-modded. No heat problems. Noise, well that's a bit more complicated (laugh) Mine sounds like a 2-stroke dirtbike, but that's because my DIY venturi is too large. Before I "improved" the venturi, it was really quiet (for a skimmer re-circ pump). DOH! Gotta build a new venturi one of these days. Running as a return pump, it'd be pretty much silent.

I've run Eheims, Ocean Runners, Mag pumps, Gen-X pumps, a couple of no-namers, etc. Performance wise (power, efficiency/heat, noise), I'd put the Ocean Runners right up there with the Eheims. I've found the ORs to be more durable and reliable than the Mag pumps and the Gen-X (heh, what isn't more durable than a Gen-X?), but it'll take a LOT to convince me they are on a par with the Eheims in that respect.

I like my Ocean Runner, but I'd have my Eheims' babies.

Yeah, I've tried a couple of designs and while they're an improvement they don't solve the problem. The venturi and air line are just too big for the pump (I have to blow into the airline to get things rolling after a power interruption; if I don't it just rattles). Not a huge deal, I just have to *do* it