Lowering Nitrates?

siskiou

I built a sulfur denitrator according to the instructions in this DIY thread on RC:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1288082&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

After some initial trouble, it's finally cycled and producing 0 nitrate water.

I'm still monitoring the output into a bucket, instead of back into the tank, until I'm sure everything stays steady, but was wondering how lowering the nitrates from about 40ppm to 0 over a relatively short period of time would affect the corals, inverts and fish in the tank.

Any ideas?

If it goes down too fast, I guess I could always feed more again! :D

when I set up my korallin biodenitrator my nitrates went from 30ppm to .5ppm in 1 month and the only effects I saw were positive.

Thanks! Good to know!

Just do it!!... yah I'm a nike stock holder..... nah really just do the best you can for your livestock.

Am trying, but heard that going down with the nitrates too fast can be a shock to the livestock, too.

That's why I'm asking for experiences. :)

Best descision I ever made!!! I bought mine from korallin and I don't know what I would do without it. I considered a DIY, but didn't reallt have the time or tools to do one the way I wanted it. PLus my korallin calcium reactor has been nothing but a Godsend for my tank so I thought I would give their denitrator a try as well. Solid construction, german made, nothing but quality. If you decide to build your own just make sure that you can make finite adjustments to the effulent, and that it is recirculating. Both of these will really improve the efficiency of the denitrator.

HTH

Wow those things have gotten really high tech. I made my first one out of a rio 90, an airline, and an Aquafina bottle. Tools were a nail, pliers, and a lighter.

I like the Arm media to lower the pH idea.

I read the thread but have to think about it some more. I did get a nitrate reading today. . .

In the past I have found a cube of sugar drops nitrates pretty fast. I have never had a negative efect from reducin nitrates by means of water change, sugar, or nitrate reactor IME.

HTH

Thanks for the link.

How hard was it to build. I have had High Nitrates for well over a year and now even with a new skimmer and large regular w/changes still cant get them down. I guess maybe I should go to a denitrate reactor, any recommendations.

jon

I found it very easy to build.

If you are planning on making one, read a little further into the thread. There is a much easier way to make the top than the first model.

As I did show off the model I made in the DIY section I found it very successful at removing nitrates, they tend to pull the nitrates down slow anyways, you don't want it working to fast anyhow because to much flow will just crash the unit and have to re start over. I did find where my nitrates where coming from it was my sandbed, I have since pulled the sandbed from the tank and contemplating my next move for the bottom. For now its a bare bottom and I kind of like it, but we will see.

• 2 months later...

I just did a search for "nitrate reduction" and found this thread. I was in a sheer panic as my nitrates were 20ppm (yikes). I have done one water change (about 15 %) and saw no change. I was getting ready to do another huge WC then I saw this thread.

I guess it is common then to have nitrates? I will look into the DIY project, as I am sure my tank would be healthier with out them.

Kris

A good skimmer, regular water changes, light feeding and having a fuge with macro algae can also help greatly with nitrates.

But with Anthias in the tank I just didn't feel I could go without regular feeding and the denitrator has helped my tank greatly.

If I could afford a better skimmer, I might not need it, but for the time being...

You have to watch your pH and Alk with this, though. It tends to drop and needs to be adjusted about once a week.

I am already having problems with my pH and Alk. That was the beginning then I noticed the Nitrates. I will have to hit the books and figure out a way to maintain the chemical balances. I have read lightly into it, but never really had a problem until now.

I have a huge ball of cheto in my sump, my skimmer kicks butt and I do weekly 10% water changes. I do tend to feed a bit (my bad), but my fish are soooooo hungry!

Kris

Kris have you checked the params of the new water you are adding? I've found huge problems with a bucket of Instant Ocean salt i was using. It was terrible, i couldn't even bring myself to give the stuff away and instead used it on my driveway.

That was one of the first things I did...the nitrite level was up in the 10 gallons I mixed up. No nitrates though. The pH I can't say (I just ran out of test solution) and the alk is 4.5 meq/L. I have used IO since the start. I know you did a huge test with Salt mixes, what was your finally conclusion? Which salt is truely the best?

Kris

I didn't really finish the test. I only rec'd 1 other type of salt and i've been using Red Sea Coral Pro since going thru my troubles. Its been great.

Its odd to me that your salt mix has nitrites. If you are adding excess nitrites, that would lead to increased nitrates. A group of bacteria (Nitrobacter) utilize the enzyme nitrite oxidase that is responsible for converting nitrite into nitrate (NO3). This nitrate can either be used by plants as a nutrient source, or can be further broken down into nitrogen gas (N2) through the activity of anaerobic bacteria such as Pseudomonas.

I would try a different salt for a few weeks and see how things go.

This is not a new tank right?

Oh no, its been up and running for over a year now. I was a little shocked as well about the nitrites in the water. I will re-test and see. Thanks for the input. I will continue to investigate good ways to lower the nitrates...obviously what I am doing isn't working!

Kris

Big water changes are the way to deal with the immediate problem of dangerously high nitrates. If your nitrates are at 25ppm, a 50% water change will reduce them to 12.5ppm. A 10% change isn't going to give you a measurable reduction.

I wouldn't automatically blame your sandbed; maybe there's a problem there, maybe not. My tank has been up for 2 years with a 2" sandbed and my nitrates are zero. Light feeding, wet skimming and frequent water changes are my suggestions for slowing nitrate accumulation. If you've got a huge bio-load (or messy or frequent eaters), a denitrator (sulfur or anaerobic) might be worth looking into if you still end up with high nitrates.

Thanks for your advice Andy. I am not one to make rash decisions, so I will definately take the time to figure this out. I did a fairly large WC (30% in 2 days) and had no reduction. I have alot of studing up to do, plus replacing my diminished test kit. My sand bed is about 1/2 deep, and I have always had problems. I was getting my RO water from another location and I think that gave me a not so good start.

I will continue to sort out the details!

Kris

When I had nitrate from sand bed I tested water incoming, ran denitrator products, even went as far as 75% water changes, it do no good. I did not have sugar sand it was the really bad fl crushed coral, terrible stuff as it really traps a lot of waste, after two years it started giving back what it had been taking. I have a crude denitrator I don't use, you could have the whole thing for the cost of sulfur if you want it. As for sandbed I noticed it was clumping and getting hard, I'm not sure if its related but worth looking into. Good luck, nitrate problems like this are very frustrating and really tested my thrill to the hobby.

Before coming to Oregon my tank was running for 5 years with a 2" sandbed and the nitrates were 0. I was even more obsessed with water changes back then (30% twice a week, hey it was free research grade water). A 1/2" sandbed is not likely to be your problem. IME crushed coral is more problematic then sand. JME.

IF I were in your shoes, and I have been, I would dose a carbon source to remove the nitrates. Alcohol and sugar both work for this. Alcohol is supposed to be a cleaner source, methanol is supposedly the best, but IME sugar works just fine as well.

20ppm is not so bad. Really in the scheme of things it's not horrible but it is good your attacking it before it gets out of hand. Nitrates and low pH will get you into some nuisance algae problems IME.

HTH

HTH

I would love some more information on "dosing". I know I have a nitrate problem, and would love to find out where? Fixing the problem is a goal, but keeping my water healthy is even more of a goal!

I am heading out of town for 4 days, and when I get back I would love to pick your brain about this. As a matter of fact...there are alot of brains in this club that offer a tremendous amount of valuable information!

I am just starting into my second year of reefing...its time to learn more!

Kris