Ryans 212G Peninsula Reef Tank

R-3

I like the T-5 for its value, its has good colors and low heat. However if I had money out the wazzu I would go with a combo of MH and actinic T-5 light. I like the shimmer and the way the light casts in the darker areas and if you run any brighter T-5 lights even if you run a point source light like a MH you will have no shimmer as the T-5 will wash it away, stick with actinic and MH for the best combo.

The real difference to me is heat, cost of the two are close, with in most cases the T-5 being slightly cheaper, but for me it was a heat issue, with my new tank I plan to run a chiller with MH as I am downgrading and the small added expense is worth the result.

So I decided to buy Nyles 8 bulb setup. So there will be some T5 on this tank, just not sure how many yet. It really depends on what other stuff I find and how fast.

As far as T-5 Vrs Halides I can tell you that it does make a difference on the top of the tank not so much on the bottom !!

I used a meter and measured Vho actinic's new T-5's New and old and various Halides.

The thing that surprised me was near the bottom of a tank say beyond 18" T-5's Lost less intensity and stayed more consistent even when they got old.

Now halides near the top portion are significantly brighter IF they are DE and say 10K.

I have 3 250 DE and 2 VHO on my 180 AGA. I may swap the vho over to t-5 some day but for now it's good, just takes more electricity.

You could go for a Wave 2k or a tunze wave box! If your buget allows it ?

:-)

Paul

Yeah for flow Im gonna do some type of Tunze setup. They have the new streamlined streams coming out and those would be sweet, or I can cash in on someone selling a old set to buy new ones :)

Waveboxes are interesting too. Im still researching this a bit. Later Ryan

Tunzes rock. I have 2x 6055 controllable Nanostreams and a 6100 in my 55gal, controlled for wave motion. The SPS seem to like it, and the back and forth swaying looks really nice. Good luck getting your hands on the first shipments of the Stream 2s, they're gonna go like hotcakes. Picking up a couple of 6100s from the Tunze hardcores who sell them to make room for Stream 2s is the way to go, imo.

Tunzes rock. I have 2x 6055 controllable Nanostreams and a 6100 in my 55gal' date=' controlled for wave motion. The SPS seem to like it, and the back and forth swaying looks really nice. Good luck getting your hands on the first shipments of the Stream 2s, they're gonna go like hotcakes. Picking up a couple of 6100s from the Tunze hardcores who sell them to make room for Stream 2s is the way to go, imo.[/quote']

Yeah thats what I was thinking. When the market gets flooded with the Oldies, BUY EM UP!

Yeah the more and more I talk to people and in my personal experiences closed loops are not for me. I hate holes so much Im gonna run a internal pump. Later Ryan

Yeah I have thought about that too Scott. Im just thinking I can get probably a better deal on a Tunze setup. I will keep my ears open though because the Vortechs seem to rock! Later Ryan

Vortechs look cool but I'd be worried about placement -- that's what's so nice about the Nanostreams (and the upcoming Stream 2s)... with the spherical shape and the magnetic C-clamp you can put them pretty much anywhere and point them pretty much anywhere too.

You can change the speed and pattern of the Tunzes too. The wireless synchronization of the Vortechs is pretty cool though. I've heard stories of Vortech quality problems on RC, but it's hard to draw any serious conclusions from a few internet anecdotes.

Yes but the Tunzes are spendy as the Vortechs are not that bad. Plus I like the looks of the Vortech alot better. Plus number 2 no chord hanging out of the tank. My new setup is a rimless glass tank and want it as clean looking around the edge as possible. But as for problems have heard a few to but the guys at Echo Tech have a great customer service record so if a problem usually fixed right away. And now they have come out with a new magnet and parts for the older models. I did end up picking one up will let you know how it works once the new set up is running.

It sounds like the Vortech is a perfect match for your tank. I agree that no wires in the tank is a real advantage. I've heard mixed stories about the Vortechs, it'd be great to hear first-hand experience.

Didn't someone in the club have them maybe a year or so ago?

Will let you know what I find out. And yes there are a few people who have them. There is a member who has one running in a 29 gallon bio cube:eek: Saw it first hand and it actually works real well. He is going to try and run 2 of them in a cube so will see how that works.

Have been reading about them on RC and there is a video of a mini wave in a 120 I think and it was created with one Vortech. I just want it for the simplicity of no chord and the way it looks. Plus you can get them at a decent price if you shop around. Brand new they retail for 420 plus shipping I think. Well I bought mine brand new for alot cheaper than that.

I would get the vortechs and if you need some more directional flow get a couple mj mods for cheap. Check out this vid!!

Also there's a group buy going on right now at nano-reef:

MP20 - $255

MP40w - $360

Battery Backup - $160 (take off $20 if purchased with pump)

Driver upgrade from mp20 to mp40w - $130 (better just to buy the MP40w)

Take an additional $15 off each additional pump ordered. Oh and I'm pretty sure those prices include shipping.

I would get the vortechs and if you need some more directional flow get a couple mj mods for cheap. Check out this vid!!

Also there's a group buy going on right now at nano-reef:

MP20 - $255

MP40w - $360

Battery Backup - $160 (take off $20 if purchased with pump)

Driver upgrade from mp20 to mp40w - $130 (better just to buy the MP40w)

Take an additional $15 off each additional pump ordered. Oh and I'm pretty sure those prices include shipping.

Yeah I saw that Mike :) Im thinking about it right now

UPDATES:

So I bought Nyles 8 bulb T5 setup. Im thinking right now that Im gonna try to run the 8. Im gonna see how that goes and if I do change something I will either add 2 more or drop 1-2 on each side and go with 2 250's in the middle. Im gonna mock set it up tomorrow and I will have pics :) Later Ryan

PICS OF T5's

THE TANK IS DIRTY, I ALREADY KNOW THIS :D

Here are some pics of the light setup from Nyles. They are all rigged up how he had them but I plan on spacing them out a little bit, probably 1" or so. Man all i can say are these are bright!!! Here we go.

The bulbs are 5 Aquablues and 3 Actinic +. Im gonna play around with them a bit since I have a total of 16 different bulbs. I also thought about checking out these.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/80W_Fiji_Purple_T5_HO_Fluorescent_by_Korallen_Zucht

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/80W_Pro_Color_T5_HO_Fluorescent_by_ATI

DSC07964.jpg

DSC07962.jpg