MACNA 2024 Cancelled!

Received the following email today.  And saw equiv post on Instagram.

Looks like I'll be getting a refund for my already purchased macna tickets, and have to figure out how to repurpose my already purchased airline tickets.

@Brittany @markvo @Stephen Sturges (& @Krux I think) - we'll all have to figure out something else to do on Labor Day Weekend.

Looks like MACNA is an overall bust.  (cancelled 2023 & 2024)  Any suggestions of other large scale reefing events worth it?   We like vendors, swag, and raffles.

image.pngimage.png

June 7, 2024

The Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA) deeply regrets to announce the cancellation of the 2024 Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), originally slated for August 30th to September 1st at the Swan and Dolphin Resort in Orlando, Florida. This decision, made by our Board of Directors with heavy hearts and immense disappointment, stems from a list of factors including disruptions to our revenue stream post Covid, pre-existing contractual obligations, and a systemic change of how the aquarium community gathers and shares educational information. Despite our earnest efforts, we are unable to proceed with the event as planned.

We understand the excitement and anticipation that attendees, exhibitors, and partners had for MACNA 2024, and are forever grateful to those who have shared their support and encouragement. All ticket holders will receive a full refund of their ticket purchase price. Sponsors and exhibitors will be receiving refunds consisting of a combination of funds and tax deductible donation receipts.

We hope there is some way the education, scholarship, awards and other programs that have made MASNA a key factor in the marine aquarium community for over 30 years, can continue, and not be lost forever.

We express our sincerest gratitude to everyone, especially the companies that have shown support for MASNA/MACNA, and we encourage the community at large to support those companies that stepped up in sponsoring this year’s events. Those sponsors as well as others who have put forth invaluable effort are listed below. Please do what you can to show your appreciation to them by your patronage.

Thank you,

The MASNA Board of Directors

Aquashella is a lovely weekend.  Lots of vendors and talks..  They have speakers fresh and saltwater.   Bigger than reefapalooza.

Orlando  November 2nd

and Chicago first weekend in August.

i can’t make the Chicago one.

Reef stock Chadanoga also likely to have speakers/ vendors etc.

I’m bummed  about MACNA.

Brittany

IMG_1366.png

• Like 1

I enjoyed the smaller nature of it and accessibility to the speakers, particularly if you like to stay up late and are at the hotel… lobby gatherings at the end of the night were a great opportunity to engage with people.  

As a fly in who wasn’t really purchasing anything the giant show room of coral doesn’t hold a lot of value to me, but the constantly rotating seminars were great and worth the cost of the trip.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2024 at 5:24 PM, Krux said:

I enjoyed the smaller nature of it and accessibility to the speakers, particularly if you like to stay up late and are at the hotel… lobby gatherings at the end of the night were a great opportunity to engage with people.  

Krux had a lot of fun pretending he was me in the lobby of the hotel...lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

Krux had a lot of fun pretending he was me in the lobby of the hotel...lol.

I had a lot of great conversations, offered advice and expertise on things I had no knowledge of… good times.

• Haha 2