HELP! BJD EVERYWHERE!!!

Kerbash

Hey!

Anyone got any experience with BJD? I haven't gotten one for a really long time now, and all of the sudden in the past 2 months Ive been losing torches and hammer, heads like once a week 😞 I fragged all of my colonies up and Im still losing them, just lost another pair of dragon soul torch head this morning... Down to my last two heads now down from a 10 head colony.

No other corals have issues too. I'm not sure whats up but only torches and hammers are dying, not even frogspawn. Started dosing cipro last week, but steadily losing heads still...

What should i do????

• Sad 1

I don't have any experience with LPS, but did you follow the multi day cipro dosing schedule, or did you just hit it once?

This is pretty much to the standard regimen at this point, as advised by Aquabiomics:

I used Ciprofloxacin at 0.125 mg / L. To achieve this I dissolved a 500 mg pill in 50 ml of RODI water, producing a 10 mg / ml solution (which I subsequently stored in the fridge). The aquarium system has 70 gal volume altogether (~265 L), so I added 3.3 ml of this solution to achieve 0.125 mg / L. I repeated this dose every 2 days for 3 doses altogether.

Edited by Krux
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kerbash said:

I do dose every day, 0.250 mg / L instead of the one they said. Maybe its too high? Should I cut back on it? Can too much cause BJD?

The higher dose could eventually cause dinoflagellates, but it will not 'cause BJD.' I have not dealt with this disease in torches, but in Goniopora. In Goniopora I was only able to stop it in the tank if I combined in-tank doses with 4-6 hour baths in concentrated cipro or Oxolinic Acid. I repeated the baths for the entire time that I was treating the tank. (High concentration for dip/bath was 1/2 of 500 mg cipro pill per gallon of tank water, and for Oxolinic Acid 2 g of OA per gallon of tank water.)

Good luck!

• Like 1

This is were they are being kept now they use to be in the main display, but these are essentially all thats left of my euphyllia colonies :(, mostly, pairs.

I did loss 2 in this tank as well a hammer and a dragon soul torch.

Fish

- 1 Small sailfin

- 3 clowns

- 3 Bangaii cardinal

- Scooter blenny

Inverts

- the cerith snail babies like hundreds of them, comes out of the sand when i drop in a piece of meat

Param

- 8.2 Alk

- 390 ppm Calc

- 1200 ppm Mg

- ~1 ppm nitrate

- No phosphate??? Cant detect any

IMG_8568.jpg

18 hours ago, Kerbash said:

Wow really BJD can happen in goni too? Ill keep an eye out. Did you use both cirpo and oxolinic acid? Does it work better? And how long did dose your tank for?

I'm not sure which works better. I was only able to stop the issue in my system when I did the dips in addition to the in tank treatment. One time I treated the tank with cipro and one other time I treated the tank with Oxolinic Acid. The cipro dosing regimen I used was three total doses with a day in between each one. The Oxolinic Acid dosing regimen was the same. If I ever did it again, I would probably use 4 doses over a period of 8 days.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 9:11 PM, Lexinverts said:

The higher dose could eventually cause dinoflagellates, but it will not 'cause BJD.' I have not dealt with this disease in torches, but in Goniopora. In Goniopora I was only able to stop it in the tank if I combined in-tank doses with 4-6 hour baths in concentrated cipro or Oxolinic Acid. I repeated the baths for the entire time that I was treating the tank. (High concentration for dip/bath was 1/2 of 500 mg cipro pill per gallon of tank water, and for Oxolinic Acid 2 g of OA per gallon of tank water.)

Good luck!

Hey I wanted to thank you, I did the bath as u said and it totally worked great! One of the torch last week started getting BJD around the rim, I did a bath everyday for 6 hours with the concentrated cirpo and the BJD totally stopped. 6 days later and he is starting to open up again.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 4:08 PM, Kerbash said:

I do dose every day, 0.250 mg / L instead of the one they said. Maybe its too high? Should I cut back on it? Can too much cause BJD?

This is a really low dose.  In humans (we are 70% water) we do 500mg twice daily.  You are not overdosing.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Brittany said:

This is a really low dose.  In humans (we are 70% water) we do 500mg twice daily.  You are not overdosing.

It is intended to be a low dose, since Arcobacter is very sensitive to Cipro.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

It is intended to be a low dose, since Arcobacter is very sensitive to Cipro.

No need to worry about toxicity when using such low doses.   I’ve read that In reef tanks we like sub therapeutic doses, just to weaken rather than kill the bacteria.  

We could dive deep into dosing….

I really like your comment about dips.  I do much larger doses as dips instead of in tank treatment.  I had brown jelly in torches, not any more.  I remove and treat whenever my torches don’t look 5 ️.

I had no idea Gonis get BJD!!!

Where do you get oxalinic acid?  

Edited by Brittany
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2024 at 10:49 AM, Brittany said:

No need to worry about toxicity when using such low doses.   I’ve read that In reef tanks we like sub therapeutic doses, just to weaken rather than kill the bacteria.  

We could dive deep into dosing….

I really like your comment about dips.  I do much larger doses as dips instead of in tank treatment.  I had brown jelly in torches, not any more.  I remove and treat whenever my torches don’t look 5 ️.

I had no idea Gonis get BJD!!!

Where do you get oxalinic acid?  

See here: Goni BJD write-up

• Like 1